Simon and Mark go Piking.....

Mark Crame

Following my earlier thread Simon Everett and I decided to get together and have a days piking today as he would be almost in the area. And so it was that midday saw the two of us launching from a slipway onto the broad for a 5 hour session. having lost my mackerel CB9 a few days prior, and having been wet from the waist down I was sporting a magificent set of Mustad Bib and Brace beneath my lifejacket and had bought a pair of Wychwood shallow floaters (trout and firetiger) which were attached to my serviced and greased reels (one of which was to throw a spring before launch leaving the clutch impossible to tighten and giving me a reverse-winding multiplier. Great for lure fishing, shite for trolling!!)

So, off we paddled with a fair bit of wind and a dull sky.

Having trolled out for a while without a hit we headed across the broad to a hotspot I'd found previously. A good spot for Simon to try with his fly as it almost always results in a run on the lures. And lo and behold a star did appear in the east, and his name was Simon, and he did cast his fly amongst the waters...

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0564.jpg

And they did part before him...

DSCF0565.jpg

and he did have his 'one on the fly', a 3 pounder who was released unweighed in short order.

DSCF0568.jpg

First blood to the away team, with the home team 'Wallering' in his wake!

DSCF0570.jpg

having politely given my guest the lead (cough) I then began to unhobble my piking shoes and put on a pair of Rapala Magnum redheads - CB9 and CB13. The Wychwoods were set aside while I drew even at 4lb 6oz, (photos to follow)

Then, after coffee and a chat with a fellow local piker, it was off to see what Simon was up to. I had to stop of course, with another of 2lb 4oz having a crack at my lures. (photos also to follow).

Well, I sorted that out and fiddled around and then came upon a most interesting discussion being held by Simon and the aforementioend local (honestly, I didn't bribe him to keep you occupied while I snatched that 3lb'er from beneath you) (photos to follow).

Well, it was time to head further up, and tales of another place that was producing gave direction to our bows, Simon pulling ahead as I nattered, finally following him up, getting close when

DSCF0572.jpg

What's that?

DSCF0573.jpg

Oh.One of these

DSCF0574.jpg

An 11oz monster had ferociously assaulted my lure and had to be forcibly removed. It was now 4:1 to the home team. A discussion shortly before had been along the lines of quality/quantity - me stating I'd rather have loads of small ones than a couple of big ones. Simon being of the opposite opinion. So, to spite him I caught another, at just over a pound.

DSCF0578.jpg

that was after losing a good one (5lb or so) that scared the crap out of a motor boat's occupants who were helping the dinghy club cover most of the broad. taking the lure up to the surface it spalshed out 3 or 4 metres away from them. Laugh? I nearly **** myself. Until it threw the hooks.

At 5:1 boated it was decided that down the other end was the place to head for. Trolling through my hotspot I was surprised to only have one run. This turned out to be a moored yacht, which was soon unhooked and put back. Fortunately unwitnessed.

Running through again, back the way I'd come, resulted in nothing. But here came the away team, running down the wings and POW! From the halfway line:

DSCF0582.jpg

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a load of that! And what does that do to a rod? Bends its

DSCF0579.jpg

shakes it

DSCF0581.jpg

Any way she wants it. She being 'Annette'.

DSCF0585.jpg

And lo, it came to pass that a monster had come up from the depths and accepted the proffered sacrificial Rapala Super Shad Rap in Goldfish clothing. A PB for Simon I believe... even if the bloody scales only recorded it at 12lb 2oz (we both think it was nearer 20). These naughty scales need a thorough testing tomorrow. Whatever the weight, it was a fantastic fish and well done indeed.

Nothing much happened from then on. I nattered to another local and emptied my thermos, and then off we went to the other side of the broad. A bit more watching Simon trying on the fly and then it was time to head in. Of course, i couldn't resist sticking my lines out. And he couldn't resist taking them:

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0588.jpg

DSCF0589.jpg

At 2lb he felt bigger initially, then went as stiff as a board and gave up. Unhooking him, I noticed marks down his flank that lead me to believe he had nearly been dinner for something far bigger. But he soon went off, and in we went, finishing the day at sunset with a fish.

Credit: 8 pike between us. Debit: 1 lure and 1 landing net between us. A tie on weight overall, if the scales are correct, but Simons fish is clearly the biggest landed on a yak there this week. I have yet to get one to that size on mine.

The bulk of the photographs will follow in a few days as they are on Simons camera. A brilliant day out, thanks Simon, it was a pleasure to fish with you.

Great report and pictures - just what I need to see at 7.00am on a sunday morning with a whole day free.

Simons pike is a nice fish but I reckon its not far off what your scales lied :)

A TWENTY is a VERY good fish !!

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Bl**dy brilliant write up / pics Mark!!

Nice one Simon as well :yeah:

That's finally made my mind up, living up near all these lakes / rivers I must be insane not to have a go at piking!!! Got a spinning rod (Abu 9ft) and fixed spool reel, just need a nice little pike rod for bait (mackie strips etc!) Tacklebargains hereI come :yeah: (any suggestions on a rod for the bait boys? (not too expensive as it will not get as much use as my sea gear, but not a Aldi special!)

Cheers boys, and again well done. I do enjoy it when people add pics it gets the blood rushing to my tackle box :lol:

CMon av a go Simon (and Mark if you can make it, oh piking god :notworthy: )

Gonna have a look at the sea now to see if its fishable he he :)

Seadoo~~~~~ :sun:

Piking God?!! Haha. I need that on a hat!

To be honest, I'd say try another spinning rod. Fix multipliers to both if you have them, though a fixed spool will be ok. Make sure the line is strong enough (don't go less than 15lb minimum, and with a lightly set drag at that) and away you go. You can then troll (handy if you have a clutch that clicks even though you are constantly checking each rod tip) or stop and chuck a lure or spinners. 9ft should be fine. My rods and reels are a bit heavy really - I have lighter but they are longer. These are 10ft and about the most I'd want to use. I'd not advise the bait route (half mackerel at least, rather than strips!) until you've unhooked a few - generally lure caught fish take it in the mouth rather than down the throat, better getting used to them that way before risking a deep hooked pike on a bait. Besides, it's more fun. Get a selection of lures suitable for trolling - which you probably have from bass fishing, no? - and some trace wire, crimps and swivels / snap links. Traces are easy to make, expensive to buy and need replacing regularly. You can always bait fish with a spinning rod anyway, you aren't going to have to throw a hundred yards.

Or you can go the fly fishing route which I know nothing about. Yet. Think I might have to try that again. I just need a cheapish rod and reel - I have the line already - and some flies. It looked fun.

Do get a landing net, you'll be glad of it if you get a decent fish. And an unhooking mat. I've just got two nets from the car boot for a quid each to replace mine lost yesterday.

Now, do I fancy the lakes, or should I just explore all of these broads around here first.....maybe a lake district summer pike meet?

Piking God?!! Haha. I need that on a hat!

To be honest, I'd say try another spinning rod. Fix multipliers to both if you have them, though a fixed spool will be ok. Make sure the line is strong enough (don't go less than 15lb minimum, and with a lightly set drag at that) and away you go. You can then troll (handy if you have a clutch that clicks even though you are constantly checking each rod tip) or stop and chuck a lure or spinners. 9ft should be fine. My rods and reels are a bit heavy really - I have lighter but they are longer. These are 10ft and about the most I'd want to use. I'd not advise the bait route (half mackerel at least, rather than strips!) until you've unhooked a few - generally lure caught fish take it in the mouth rather than down the throat, better getting used to them that way before risking a deep hooked pike on a bait. Besides, it's more fun. Get a selection of lures suitable for trolling - which you probably have from bass fishing, no? - and some trace wire, crimps and swivels / snap links. Traces are easy to make, expensive to buy and need replacing regularly. You can always bait fish with a spinning rod anyway, you aren't going to have to throw a hundred yards.

Or you can go the fly fishing route which I know nothing about. Yet. Think I might have to try that again. I just need a cheapish rod and reel - I have the line already - and some flies. It looked fun.

Do get a landing net, you'll be glad of it if you get a decent fish. And an unhooking mat. I've just got two nets from the car boot for a quid each to replace mine lost yesterday.

Now, do I fancy the lakes, or should I just explore all of these broads around here first.....maybe a lake district summer pike meet?

SUPERB!! All imbibed and thoroughly digested!. Thanks Mark, I need the advice as it has been a LONG time since I have course fished so I am really sketchy!. I would prefer to spin anyway and just wondered if I NEEDED a bait rod!. I have been reading up on pike fishing and I do not want to catch them if I don't know what I am doing and would not like to risk injuring such a beautiful fish.

I have lots of rods and reels, including trolling rods (Richi tackle tart 2 ha ha) and have multipliers with ratchet etc. I have a landing net but am looking at a unhooking mat at the moment actually!. I have NO idea how to crimp traces and have never seen one in the flesh ha ha. I think I will avoid the bait fishing route Mark. I will not fish for pike unless I have someone with me who has experience to be honest!. I would rather watch first than risk injury to the fish.

Exploring the broads does not need any thinking about mate DO IT ha ha. BUT a summer / spring or even autumn pike meet in the lakes has got to be a goer!!! Get yer diaries ready boys, sounds good to me (easy for me though living close by) Now then, how do I talk the FPO into needing a few days on the broads :lol::lol::black_eye:

Cheers Mark

SDD~~~~ :sun: (Dave)

Right just about coming too now - was 02.30 before I got hoe. I got lost with the diversion at the A14/A1 junction - I missed the turning and ended up near Northampton, where a work friend happens to live......no my USA lures haven't turned up yet, but they have been sent. Fancy a beer.....I shouldn't really, Oh, go on then. Want another beer? Oh alright.....!

Great sport there on that Broad Mark - i haven't fished it before, just stirred it up with my prop on Thursday evening racing through the summer!

The Broads are well known for piking - but I couldn't believe just how localised the fish are. They behave differently to the lake pike that we are used to - I looked for the deeper holes and fished them (in the lakes they will be found around the 20 foot contour) I located a couple of undulating drop offs, just the place for a pike to ambush from - up and down bottom going from 7 feet to 9 feet (the deepest recording I got all day!)

I don't care how heavy the fish was - it was a damned sight heavier than 12lbs though - I can usually estimate fish weight to within a few ounces, not 50% out! When I was heaving it out I said between 18lb and 22lbs straight away - with the net. It was closer to 20lb than 15lb, lets put it that way. Whatever - it was a good fish and put up a great fight. You want to see the beaming grin on my face with it in the net! It was worth the drive just for that fish alone. I can sit back and think of it and it won't matter if I blank for the next dozen trips (highly likely!)

I will send Mark a CD with all the pics on and let hom post them up. I still can't get it to accept mine - I have filled my quota or something.

Thanks for showing me your fishing Mark - and for letting me put the fly across your hotspot. One on the fly is worth 10 on the lure by the way....so after adjustment of the scores!!! It was only a small pike, but on the fly that doesn't matter - every now and again you will get a good fish take the fly, which is why you need to be geared up for that odd occassion. It also helps to have some power in the rod to cast the bigger flies - which work much better than smaller ones. Without all the movement that a lure puts out you need a BIG fly to move some water and be attractive to a pike.

Pix on their way Mark. A memorable day on the water. Mark was really hospitable showing me all the places where you are likely to find a toothy critter. A perfect host.

Nifty and I want to go Bala to get a practise session in before Llangorse, who's coming? Although the A14 isn't THAT bad a run.....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

PM sent Bill, apparently public naming of inland waters on forums is frowned upon. Glad you enjoyed the therad. It's a lovely spot, and plenty of facilities. Not overly tranquil for most of it, but that gives a bit of interest too.