Simon and Mark go Piking.....

Mark Crame

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received a CD from Simon, (thanks mate) so here come the pics, a nice reminder on a day when I'm banned from the water! Apart from Simons I'm unsure which are which except for the last, but refer to the first post and try and jiggle them...

The trouble with 2 lures being out and wind/current:

Img10314.jpg

easing the fish over the net, not pushing the net to the fish

Img10315.jpg

Img10318.jpg

Img10319.jpg

The way to do it - fingers/hand under the gill cover at the front - avoid the filaments so you don't do any damage

Img10322.jpg

which allows you to get the hooks out freely as the mouth will invariably stay open giving you plenty of room (a perch is harder to unhook than a pike by far). Don't worry about the teeth as they are far smaller than those on your average household cat or dog.

Img10324.jpg

Img10326.jpg

Simon in action:

Img10327.jpg

Img10338.jpg

netted:

Img10340.jpg

Lets take a look then Simon:

Img10349.jpg

Img10351.jpg

Well done theat man - now slipping her gently back, supported until she's ready to go

Img10355.jpg

Worth the drive then?

Img10358.jpg

Says it all really!

Oh go on then, just one more:

Img10360.jpg

Img10363.jpg

You should have seen the one that got away:

Img10366.jpg

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I can paddle on a broad or a river from the same launch point, or both one after the other. Haven't fished the river this end, apart from a troll for 300 metres up from the broad but it looks more pedunkle than the local caravan site (very snaggy though, better as a bait venue I suspect). I can head by car up to the other end as well in half an hour to launch, but there is still a bit of weed about and you seem to have to clear the hooks too often. Spoilt for choice here really, I'm hoping I can nab some cod and bass with as much success.

Excellent post.

In Holland they do not weigh the pike as the weight can vary so much due to feeding. The Dutch measure the length of the fish and say that it is a 80cm fish etc. It can be frustrating to catch a potential 20 pounder that has had not has it's dinner yet. If you are getting a lot of weed why not try a Spinner bait. :)

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

Phooey,

That settles it, my pike wasn't that big - so consensus is around the 15lb mark and my weight estimation is all to pot.

Oz is here at the moment and when we were talking Anna piped up "he is usually within half a pound...." so I need to catch a few more fish - that's it, not caught enough fish this year!

Thanks for posting the pic as it puts mine into perspective. Still the biggest pike I have caught though and the reduction of weight doesn't worry me in the slightest - it was a lovely fish to catch and Iam sure it will be a long while before I get another in that calibre.

Mark has posted the pictures taken on my camera - just look at how pleased I was!

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Phooey,

That settles it, my pike wasn't that big - so consensus is around the 15lb mark and my weight estimation is all to pot.

Oz is here at the moment and when we were talking Anna piped up "he is usually within half a pound...." so I need to catch a few more fish - that's it, not caught enough fish this year!

Thanks for posting the pic as it puts mine into perspective. Still the biggest pike I have caught though and the reduction of weight doesn't worry me in the slightest - it was a lovely fish to catch and Iam sure it will be a long while before I get another in that calibre.

Mark has posted the pictures taken on my camera - just look at how pleased I was!

I have to up my estimate a bit as well - yep, looks like 15 there to me - beats my best 0f 13lb 4oz and its a VERY good fish. :thumbs:

If I get anywhere near that at Langorse I will be getting very drunk.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

I've found this year that I am consistently over-estimating pike, by 50% at least. I've got the hang of 1 and 3 pounders now (!) and an inkling of 5's but really can't get any accuracy at all on bigger fish and get surprised every time. I had a couple of 7lb river pike that fought far more than a ten pound pond pike - both were a lot shorter and stockier - and which I banked and figured were also tens. The pond pike, however, was thin and long - if he had meat on him he would have gone 15 I think. Yu can tell which is which from these.

Pike001.jpg

pedunkle-1.jpg

6-14.jpg

Wetter than an otter's pocket.