the clock is running out

hembo

Just to add to my early post. Yes overfishing IS responsible for depletion of fish stocks. BUT sensational unproven headlines just undermine the real facts and our cause in the end. Just like Y2K etc. eventually the public will switch off and the politicians that respond with knee jerk reactions will lose interest to.

Just support this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6115644.stm

The green band wagon is getting silly. Yes it is serious and real but we need real long-term measured based on fact not media hype.

JRT - understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately because the general public has become so inured to 'disasters', all interested parties have to hype everything up to 'Armageddon' levels just to attract attention and get market share.

It seems more important that 'individual authorities' win the battle of words rather than address issues, so you get both sides of an issue trotting out truly banal and emotive statements whilst actually doing nothing of consequence and just letting things go to hell in a handbag.

Consequently, although the vast majority will accept there are issues with for example, cod stocks - there seems to be endless debate as to whether that is caused by global warming, overfishing, lack of sandeels, natural variations, the spanish/french/dutch/eastern europeans etc., ----- BUT as all fiddle around, the cod stocks continue to deplete.

Like Leon, I was involved in a multi-million $ exercise around Y2K, the threats were not those as hyped by the press - planes falling out of the sky etc, but more related to everyday business, financial and operational systems. Thanks to a whole load of effort made to address and solve the REAL issues, the whole thing passed by pretty uneventfully.

One thing is for sure, unless there is some concerted effort to address the REAL ISSUES around fish stocks, their demise may not pass unnoticed, but it will happen.

Then no doubt it will have been somebody else's fault, the government should have done something about it, compensation lawyers4U will have a field day, the media will hype it all and no end of experts will get their 15 mins.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
JRT - understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately because the general public has become so inured to 'disasters', all interested parties have to hype everything up to 'Armageddon' levels just to attract attention and get market share.

It seems more important that 'individual authorities' win the battle of words rather than address issues, so you get both sides of an issue trotting out truly banal and emotive statements whilst actually doing nothing of consequence and just letting things go to hell in a handbag.

Consequently, although the vast majority will accept there are issues with for example, cod stocks - there seems to be endless debate as to whether that is caused by global warming, overfishing, lack of sandeels, natural variations, the spanish/french/dutch/eastern europeans etc., ----- BUT as all fiddle around, the cod stocks continue to deplete.

Like Leon, I was involved in a multi-million $ exercise around Y2K, the threats were not those as hyped by the press - planes falling out of the sky etc, but more related to everyday business, financial and operational systems. Thanks to a whole load of effort made to address and solve the REAL issues, the whole thing passed by pretty uneventfully.

One thing is for sure, unless there is some concerted effort to address the REAL ISSUES around fish stocks, their demise may not pass unnoticed, but it will happen.

Then no doubt it will have been somebody else's fault, the government should have done something about it, compensation lawyers4U will have a field day, the media will hype it all and no end of experts will get their 15 mins.

Am with you seaside, a bit like weapons of mass destruction then.

Get the public whipped up into blind panic, so we can create a situation where we can justify invading another country.

people have been trying to whip anglers up on this forum for months in order to spread fear and define a public enemy (commercial fishermen) they have tried to take away the blame of bad management (from the government) and lay or these so called woes at the feet on commercial fishermen.

simply because the hysteria that they have created within RSA circles in order to create panic and blind hysteria (two of the things I believe you are encouraging seaside) in order to get recognition within the government and to progress forward with ideas of grandeur created by lies deceit and pure scaremongering.

Yes that seams like the way forward seaside. You’re not a politician by any chance are you? Or worse a member of the greens? :lol::lol:

Guest challenge
The commercial fishermen are to blame as they are the ones that tow/stick out the shyte loads of mono that is the real enemy of rsa's, that is a fact imo.....................

So if that’s what you think (in your opinion) then in your opinion you don’t think that the government has any part to play in it by letting it happen? :huh:

So if that’s what you think (in your opinion) then in your opinion you don’t think that the government has any part to play in it by letting it happen? :huh:

Hi challenge

Maybe they did? maybe they did'nt? it dont matter one way or the other now does it, the fact is there are less fish now than at any time before (in recent times) and by carrying on and saying what the government encouraged those years ago aint gonna change things.

For what its worth i would have no problem with seeing the commercial boys being fully compensated for not fishing ie, a livable wage, for a few years, sum of the billions we give the eu every year would easily cover that, give our sea's a total rest, i can get by without eating fish cant you? and i am pretty sure most can to..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

the simple fact of the matter is that british waters(as have others) have not been farmed,as a sustainable commodity.

properly managed it may recover but i cannot see that happening in the foreseeable future.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Guest challenge
Hi challenge

Maybe they did? maybe they did'nt? it dont matter one way or the other now does it, the fact is there are less fish now than at any time before (in recent times) and by carrying on and saying what the government encouraged those years ago aint gonna change things.

For what its worth i would have no problem with seeing the commercial boys being fully compensated for not fishing ie, a livable wage, for a few years, sum of the billions we give the eu every year would easily cover that, give our sea's a total rest, i can get by without eating fish cant you? and i am pretty sure most can to..........

Hi stavey.

I don’t know if there is less fish now than there has ever been? That’s a debateable question? Is it warmer now than it ever was?

You’re correct in saying that there is less fish now than there was in our lifetimes. but then on saying that I have known periods when you could not take codling out the north sea for love nor money.

As for stopping fishing altogether? Not going to happen (thank god) is it.

I would hate the day I could not open my front door and cast a line regardless weather there was anything to catch or not.

Regards.

Hi stavey.

I don’t know if there is less fish now than there has ever been? That’s a debateable question? Is it warmer now than it ever was?

You’re correct in saying that there is less fish now than there was in our lifetimes. but then on saying that I have known periods when you could not take codling out the north sea for love nor money.

As for stopping fishing altogether? Not going to happen (thank god) is it.

I would hate the day I could not open my front door and cast a line regardless weather there was anything to catch or not.

Regards.

Challenge, you know i meant commercial fishing if fishermen used hook and lines we would not be in the state we are now...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Am with you seaside, a bit like weapons of mass destruction then.

Get the public whipped up into blind panic, so we can create a situation where we can justify invading another country.

people have been trying to whip anglers up on this forum for months in order to spread fear and define a public enemy (commercial fishermen) they have tried to take away the blame of bad management (from the government) and lay or these so called woes at the feet on commercial fishermen.

simply because the hysteria that they have created within RSA circles in order to create panic and blind hysteria (two of the things I believe you are encouraging seaside) in order to get recognition within the government and to progress forward with ideas of grandeur created by lies deceit and pure scaremongering.

Yes that seams like the way forward seaside. You’re not a politician by any chance are you? Or worse a member of the greens? :lol::lol:

How about the guernsey press dated 27/4/06 article by Nick Mollet where the president of the guernsey fishermans association stated that he wanted rsa's removed from the area as he considered that the sports angler was decimating the fish stocks, selling on the black market, etc, etc and he even wished that his concerns are past on to goverment. To date, there has been no back up or corroberation of these statements. This was directly before 05's report indicating that there was a huge increase in the take by themselves. Bit like the pot calling the kettle black? If thats not whipping, don't know what is. B.....it seems to spring to mind.

regards barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I agree, the truth is normally in the middle of the extremes and if media hysteria gets results then fine. BUT my fear is politicians never make policy decisions based on facts or common sense, they make them to react to media hysteria and that we will some crazy policies that will benefit no one, especially the fish.