Perfect Fishing TV Programme

AndyTV

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to watch the fishin' programmes. There have been a few mornings this summer when they have had to do instead of the real thing when the rain has lashed down keeping the boat off the water.

I enjoy Paul Young, he reminds me of my late father, same build, flat cap, ears at the same angle, moustache, and he transmits the same excited return to boyhood when fishing. His shows may not be the best to learn the technical aspects of the fishin' he does, but are very good at putting over the human element of the whole business. Maybe he being an actor helps too? He has twice (at least) covered one of my favourite local waters, Esthwaite.

Henry comes over as very honest if somewhat over exitable, liked him better with his hair long.

John Wilson gets to some interesting places, and he explains what he is doing well but his 'patter' is a bit predictable, 'ho ho a pike would you believe it?', well you worked a lure through a water which contains 'em, so 'yes John I'd believe it alright!' I get the impression he doesn't really like to be outfished on camera, 'yes yours is lovely, but mine is bigger!' Oh and he lends his name to some dodgy tackle...'six shooter' multiplier, oh dear it's awful.

'Nick' from Predators, to me comes over as needing a bit of 'zing'. I know a presenter has to ask the 'expert' questions as if they are cluless about what is going on, to give the chance to explain it all to the audience, but he plays that role convincingly well! (clueless).

The Australians, oh dear, 'the old bearded burbler' has totally blotted his copy book down under, apart from continuing his dialouge to the camera while playing a fish on one of his little single handed rods ('look how clever I am and how lightly I take all this'), according to my family contacts down under, 'ole Rexy' isn't popular and is considered a bully and has been involved in 'sex scandals, not that The latter bothers me much. I simply couldn't be on the same boat with those 2 young lads he has on his show sometimes. The voices grate, either they would have to go over the side or I would!

'Passion for angling', lovely, and to those who have in this thread picked out a few instances of alleged 'maltreatment' of fish I would invite to get things in perspective.

For me Mick Brown and Matt Hayes do the business, they are imformative, clearly explaining and showing the tackle and how it is used, while at the same time coming over as humerous and very down to earth, I get the impression that one could talk easily with them and they would make agreeable fishing companions. If the format I suggested comes off, I want to take Mick Brown piking with me on our boat on the local lake, he comes over as a decent and likeable fellow.

I should be getting some sleep, not siting here typing, we (my son and I) are doing Windermere tomorrow, have moved all my large lures to the top of my case and I am due a big one!

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

My thoughts exactly Newt.

Yes, I've been paying close attention to all the comments, and have found it very useful.

I'll keep you updated on progress with the programme, and let you know if I get anywhere with it. It's a bit of an arduous process to sell an idea to a broadcaster, so better get back to work....

I'll keep you updated on progress with the programme, and let you know if I get anywhere with it.

That would be lovely.

Over the years we have received many requests for info or opinions but I can only remember two instances (of several dozen at least) where we received any info after the requester had all from us they needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President