Where are the pike?

Pangolin

Two days spent pike-fishing in what I would have called 'perfect conditions' at the weekend. Frosty mornings, bright and cold days, fished until just past dark and not a single take! My Saturday was at Park Farm, Eaton Bray, while my Sunday was on the Grand Union canal. Both are reliably good venues where I've rarely blanked. I wondered if something has reduced pike stocks this year?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

the pike are out in force dont worry, my last two visits to a pit near sleaford in lincolnshire have yeilded an 11lb and a 20lb monster. both on livebait and each session only lasted 90 mins up until dark. ill be having another mini session tomorrow !!

the 20lb (just over) beast i caught actually had fresh teeth marks on it from where something had bitten it......... **** !!

im not swimming in there anymore dad, said my 14 year old son !!

Two days spent pike-fishing in what I would have called 'perfect conditions' at the weekend. Frosty mornings, bright and cold days, fished until just past dark and not a single take! My Saturday was at Park Farm, Eaton Bray, while my Sunday was on the Grand Union canal. Both are reliably good venues where I've rarely blanked. I wondered if something has reduced pike stocks this year?

I heard Bob Nudd was down that way at the weekend, and boy, did he look p**sed off!!

I don't rate bright conditions for pike unless there is a bit of wind or some cloud to break up the bright periods. I'm not saying you won't catch in these conditions, just that they can be tough going IMO.

I don't rate bright conditions for pike unless there is a bit of wind or some cloud to break up the bright periods. I'm not saying you won't catch in these conditions, just that they can be tough going IMO.

I agree. A sudden drop in temperature after a long mild spell isn't good for any fishing as far as I'm concerned.

spent my formative years fishing at the moat and grand union !!!!!!!

if you dont mind me asking , which sections of the canal as it wasnt known to hold pike in any numbers if at all when i fished there in the early 80's