Red Fish in Florida

Dick Dastardly

Did someone (Newt?) quite recently post a report wih photos about a days fishing in Florida for Reds and Speckled Trout? or am I loosing it? Tried the "search" feature but I never get any joy with it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Wasn't me Budgie although we do have right many Specs off the North Carolina coast and the Red Fish (Red Drum) is an Atlantic Coast fish for the most part and common in these waters.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have caught redfish and speckled trout all around the coast of Florida (Atlantic and Gulf) and along the Gulf coast to Texas.

The Florida Panhandle and Louisiana, have some of the most prolific fishing.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Watched a tv prog about these fish the other week, sure it was paul youngs roadtrip, not seen anything else about them though, sure it was north carolina.

Yes it was Paul Young's fishing road trip USA. He was fishing out of Morehead City for red fish and speckled sea trout if i remember correctly. Best new fishing programme on discovery channel for ages IMO (and i like Paul Young, much better than Wilson) :)

I would love to give those red fish a go, looked great fun. :fishing:

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Thanks for the replies.Yes I saw the Paul Young programme its a good series isnt it? But that wasnt what I was after.Definately an internet write up with photos by an American guy.It was same style as the US lads who post on here do.Must have been another site.The info was for a friend of mine whose going over to Florida in the New Year.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Budgie

If your friend's looking for information here are some urls that he might find of use - there're details on venues and techniques on these, together with useful forums. Personally I've found those subscribers on the Reel-Time (fly fishing) forums most useful, especially when they realise you're from 'our side of the Pond'. They'll even forgive indiscretions about not using the 'long rod' providing you're not too obvious. (And what you can catch on the fly you can catch on spin gear.)

So there's Shallow Water Angler, look for destinations, Reel-Time, look for 'Features' (top left on home page) and Sportfishing Magazine.

Dave

I fished off a pier in Sanibel Florida this Sept, and most of the fish the locals were catching were whiting and redfish. Needless to say I blanked, the bait of choice was live shrimp, and I only had Berkely Gulp artificials.

The nasty "Red Tide" algae bloom didn't help, which was affecting the whole of that gulf coastline :yucky::yucky::yucky:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton