Do the commercials want every last fish.

glennk

Hello Glen

I doubt that the activities of a few French trawlers working on whiting off shore would have any effect on the catches from the shore. I reckon there will be some other reason for not catching whiting at Filey.

Whiting allways come to the shore when the water is colured when you have had a blow as soon as it settles and goes calm they are they there but the fishing by the large french trawlers and they are large must have some affect on the numbers of whiting going onto the beaches what happens when people go rabbiting with long nets they can clean an area out but that doesnt happen when you are trawling does it :unsure:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

So who has caught this anglers whiting again? The French or the British?

Is it the same French trawler men tat destroyed hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of British commercial fishermen’s static gear.

Looks as if the CFP is hitting more than just commercials then?

On saying that I think that it would take a brilliant barrister to prove that commercial fishing was the reason that that lad caught very little whiting that night.

Still good excuse.

And some would have us believe that commercial fishing doesn't make any difference to our catches. :headhurt:

Well they are going to have to tell that to an entirely new audience - the Southern Hemisphere

" The talks in Hobart ..... to develop a regional fisheries agreement to manage non-highly migratory fish stocks on the high seas from the Indian Ocean to South America and from the Antarctic to an as yet undecided northern boundary.

The talks aimed also to set up interim measures to manage the effects of bottom trawling in these areas.

But the EU, Russia and South Korea repeatedly blocked proposals supported by Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Pacific Island States and the United States which were intended to protect deep sea life from bottom trawling.

see http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/nov2006/2006-11-13-03.asp

At the expense of the shore angling. Up until recently we were lucky as they wernt such a commercial target in our area. Now they are and the anglers are suffering. The lad I spoke to was on his way to Whitby tonight. Having to travel 60 miles round trip to catch something he used to be able to target 10 mins from his home.

I dont know where you got the idea that whiting have not been a target species in the whitby area Ask Robert or James what they fished for with our heritage and carosal and latterly venus ?

Guest challenge
I dont know where you got the idea that whiting have not been a target species in the whitby area Ask Robert or James what they fished for with our heritage and carosal and latterly venus ?

I would say that there has been more whiting caught off Whitby than any other species over the years.

I remember young Jim leadley saying that he loved catching whiting. I asked him why. he said” because they where so easy to catch” :clap2:

There were plenty of boats bought and paid for from the catching of whiting from Whitby. It used to be crew members that use to complain about skippers catching loads of whiting. :blink:

I believe your going to catch another dollop of codling with darlick tomorrow? If you don’t catch any don’t you go blaming them Scotchman that have been catching all those codlings last week off bell rock will you. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by challenge