was it me or the rod ?

pfcruleok

Had an excellent day on the itchen on monday and was trotting a stretch that was around 9ft and at the end of the swim it went up to about 2ft with lots of weed. Always got snagged up in the weed but with abit of side strain the hook would pull clear. However i gave the rod a one armed pull upwards and it snapped at the joint between the 1st and 2nd section. The rod was a Drennen im8 super stick ( it was an excellent rod and i have had fish up to 6lb on it ok ) with a centrepin and 3lb maxima straight through. Was it me or the rod ? do i look for a replacement middle section if that is possible ? do i try and buy another im8 ? or do i need a more beefy rod for trotting ? and what rod would you recommend ?

The last fish i caught on it was this ( see attachment ) is it a sea trout ?

post-10413-1163624734_thumb.jpg

TSorry to hear about your rod. It happened to me with a barbel rod once. I was putting on side strain when snagged in some weeds and it snapped. I think it was you, with 3lb line on the rod would have been fine.

I would get in touch with Drennan about the broken section. I have the Drennan tench float and that takes up to 6lb line, I love it for general float fishing and trotting.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Chances are at some time the rod got a knock at the point where it broke or there was a manufacturing fault (unlikely since you had the rod for a while).

Drennan after sales is/was very good so get in touch with them, if they won't replace it free of charge then often they will do so at cost.

Chances are at some time the rod got a knock at the point where it broke or there was a manufacturing fault (unlikely since you had the rod for a while).

I'd agree with Slap.

It's so easy to step on a rod, catch it in a car door, etc and breathe a sigh of relief that no damage has been done.

Then next time real pressure is applied to the rod 'snap'! :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

i can guarantee you its a sea trout, i used to catch lots of them down the falkland islands.

Cheers for that slap but i'ved done a search on google for Drennan after sales and cant seem to find it. you dont happen to have it do you ?