conger fishing

Zigs

being new to this aspect of our sport, how late in the year is it worth trying for conger? do they go off the feed below a certain water temperature ?

:clap2: Yes they do but at the moment the water is still very warm and they feed all year in deep water off the south coast. :clap2:

They seem to be about all year round for the last few years. A good cold spell will send them into their torpid state. Hibernation isn't the right word as they are alert but not feeding when it's cold.

cheers guys, i know what you mean about torpid stoaty, i've seen them in a sea fed aquarium on a realy cold winters day, they just lie there stareing at you.

i just didn't want to be turning up to conger fish too late in the year & look like a pratt, so i should be alright till a bit after christmas then.

I am down south, and fish for them all year round, and in fairly shallow water.

I do find they tend to go off the mackerel in the winter though- squid and cuttle seem to get more bites.

B.A.S.S. member

I am down south, and fish for them all year round, and in fairly shallow water.

I do find they tend to go off the mackerel in the winter though- squid and cuttle seem to get more bites.

Totally agree with Grant, any mark that has a good head of eels will see resident fish all year round.

And deffo big squid/cuttle fish baits in the colder months

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Totally agree with Grant, any mark that has a good head of eels will see resident fish all year round.

And deffo big squid/cuttle fish baits in the colder months

Scott

aarr, but if i use squid/cuttle as bait, i'd only end up hooking myself in the mouth, ask Dan :blink: