tomorrows meeting!

Guest muttley

Leon would you like to see more anglers attending?

Yes.

One of the problems is that SFCs still have a problem regarding themselves as responsible to all stakeholders.

The see and meet a lot of commercial fishermen, but apart from the angling reps on the SFC, anglers are invisible to them.

Anglers, not only coming along to the meetings, but writing to the SFCs, perhaps raising proposals, and taking an active interest in the SFCs management of fin fish stocks, will help to start to open some minds to the responsibilities towards the angling sector, and make more real the claims that hundreds of jobs within the district are dependent upon RSA activity.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to talk to him afterwards, still none the wiser, just got the impression, he hates commercial fishermen with a vengeance.

Not all of them Peter, he reckons you're a nice bloke.

After all those years of fishing the same area for the same bass, the gill netter and the charter skipper, the two of you meeting for the first time yesterday was quite a historic moment. It would have made a nice photo had you shook hands.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

SamI dont want to have a go about your old man,I used to fish with him as a 15/16 yr old(That was a long time ago) and he was a top skipper and angler but he has taken his fair share from the sea in the past (Ive seen him and Rawlies boats filled to the gunnels with Bass)

I've just asked Bob about these boats filled up to the gunwhales with bass. He said that sounds like it was a very good day indeed, and he wishes he could have been there. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Are the onlookers allowed to take notes? As it could help bring back to mind any important points.

Yes, but not with a tape-recorder!

On rare occasions, the 'public' might be asked to leave the room whilst 'restricted items' are discussed.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

why would a item be restricted?

Never came across one yet, but I would imagine that if information of a commercially sensitive or personal nature was being discussed then it would be restricted.

RNLI Shoreline Member

There was one point raised by one comitee member (I think it was the vice chairmen but not quite sure) that worried me.

He started by saying that there are two big 1000hp beamers working our area, apparently they catch in one month what a local small boat takes in one year. I sat there thinking well there one issue that local commercial fishermen and angler will agree on and maybe could both lobby against. But then the man turned to the so called SEAL PROBLEM and how soon or later they would need controling.

What complete crap! seals were there before the fishermen and seals have to catch fish in order to servive, whereas a commercial fishermen could sign on the dole if he stops catching fish and goes to the wall.

Up until that point I was following him.

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

There was one point raised by one comitee member (I think it was the vice chairmen but not quite sure) that worried me.

He started by saying that there are two big 1000hp beamers working our area, apparently they catch in one month what a local small boat takes in one year. I sat there thinking well there one issue that local commercial fishermen and angler will agree on and maybe could both lobby against. But then the man turned to the so called SEAL PROBLEM and how soon or later they would need controling.

What complete crap! seals were there before the fishermen and seals have to catch fish in order to servive, whereas a commercial fishermen could sign on the dole if he stops catching fish and goes to the wall.

Up until that point I was following him.

Hello Sam

Yesterday The navy protection vessel called a beam trawler that was working a little out side off us. when the skipper was asked how much fish he had on board " 20,000 Kg of mixed fish" was the reply, that is 20 ton's of prime fish caught in and around the Thames estuary. This in it's self dose not bother me, It's nice to know that there is that sort of amounts of fish to be caught, we managed a mere 30 kg for a quick dip on a poor weather day. what bothers me is we are being bombarded from all angles by all and sundry who's main aim is to curb our activities, save the environment from us, save the fish stocks, anglers want a bigger say and share of my catch, stakebloodyholders claiming they are worth more so sell up and make way.

What bothers me is if they, you, all got your way my colleges and I know it won't make a bit of difference.

Those boats will still be there.

I agree the seals in this area are not so much of a problem, although incidents of seals pulling fish from the nets, even trawl nets are increasing, in other areas there are large increases in the seal population, for instance the Wash area, which is also I imagine a nursery area for a lot of fish species including cod, they say that seals eat a lot of o to 1 group codlings.

I doubt killing all the seals would make a difference to the over all stock, same as killing off all fishermen wouldn't.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Sam

Yesterday The navy protection vessel called a beam trawler that was working a little out side off us. when the skipper was asked how much fish he had on board " 20,000 Kg of mixed fish" was the reply, that is 20 ton's of prime fish caught in and around the Thames estuary. This in it's self dose not bother me,

Morning wurzel

What would bother you 100 tons 1000 tons 10000 tons taken from your area by one greedy individual? was this boat a local or a foriegner? work out the figures wurzel that boat has taken in a day or so that would take you a couple of years to catch, and your not worried!!!! sometimes you amaze me, unfortunately for a lot of the wrong reasons sad to say, cheers...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly