tomorrows meeting!

Guest muttley

Morning wurzel

What would bother you 100 tons 1000 tons 10000 tons taken from your area by one greedy individual? was this boat a local or a foriegner? work out the figures wurzel that boat has taken in a day or so that would take you a couple of years to catch, and your not worried!!!! sometimes you amaze me, unfortunately for a lot of the wrong reasons sad to say, cheers...........

Hello Stavey

It was a foreigner, What makes you say he was being greedy? The boat had been at sea ten days and was on his last shot of his trip, he will probably be back next week and do it again, he would not consider he was being greedy, just going to work. Look at it this way Stavey, for that boat to catch 20 tons of fish it means there were probably 1000 tons of fish in the area, so if it was possible for him to catch 10000 tons of fish it would mean there were around 50000 tons of fish on the grounds. As far as I could see he was alone I could not see another fishing boat in any direction, he was with in his quota and using the correct regulation nets. It's no good condemning fishermen just for catching fish he is entitled to.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all of them Peter, he reckons you're a nice bloke.

After all those years of fishing the same area for the same bass, the gill netter and the charter skipper, the two of you meeting for the first time yesterday was quite a historic moment. It would have made a nice photo had you shook hands.

Or gripping each other by the throat, nice! am I? Careful! I've got a ruffty tuffty hard arsed fisherman reputation to keep up here.

I would like the chance to sit down and talk properly, he has some pretty strong views, If people like him and I could find a compromise or understand each other, it would be a step in the right direction, invite Charlesbloodyclover along, two against one, you could be referee and keep score.

I would like to know how a SF Committee can not be biased to commercial fishermen with out being biased to angers?

I would like to know how a SF Committee can not be biased to commercial fishermen with out being biased to angers?

The Environment Agency has to cope with the conflicting demands of many water users.

It does so by putting the good management of the resource itself first, then by considering that it must act in the best interest of the 'owners' of the resource to attain 'best value' from the use of the resource, and allow fare and equitable access to that resource to all stakeholders.

Yes it must often disregard the demands of anglers in favour of those who need their homes protected from floods, or perhaps make some areas off limits from anglers to minimise bird disturbance in favour of bird-watchers, or those who need to draw off water against the needs of anglers and wildlife groups, and it probably doesn't always get it right.

But the SFCs have a very different tradition.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Fair play Wurzel and I take your points, but will you say for the record that you don’t believe in over fishing exists? The bass fishing isn’t as good as it was a few years ago; the cod fishing has been crap for years now. I do think climate change has something to do with it but its mostly over fishing of one kind or another.

However commercial pressure has eased for thornbacks and smoothound as they are plentiful in my area. I think the direction of the commercial effort has changed a bit with more part timers targeting bass inshore in the summer months.

Im not saying that you over fish, from what I gather you mostly work well offshore and rest your marks when needed.

Edited by frankthebass

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

But the SFCs have a very different tradition.

Hello Leon

I would have liked to stayed till the end of the meeting for a chat, the rain of late made the local river a bit more inviting.

Ok take the tope consultation.

They heard from the commercials that they do not target tope, they do not catch many tope, one or two as a by catch. they are not a threat to tope stocks, they do have a value, and what’s the point of throwing a large fish back dead?

They heard from the RSA that Tope are a prized sport fish,

How else could they vote?

Hello Leon

I would have liked to stayed till the end of the meeting for a chat, the rain of late made the local river a bit more inviting.

Ok take the tope consultation.

They heard from the commercials that they do not target tope, they do not catch many tope, one or two as a by catch. they are not a threat to tope stocks, they do have a value, and what’s the point of throwing a large fish back dead?

They heard from the RSA that Tope are a prized sport fish,

How else could they vote?

You missed out the bit about big tope being 40 or more years old, slow growing, late maturing and not nearly as fecund as most other finfish.

And that as the world cracks down upon shark finning and protection for shark species the value of sharkfins will increase making a targeted fishery much more likely, which on all evidence will be finished within three years, the valuable recreational tope fishery along with it.

And those big specimens not likely to be seen for at least a generation, unless the stable door is closed before the horse has bolted.

But of course they didn't hear that because their ears were closed to any argument other than what they wanted to hear.

ps I would have liked to have shared a pint, maybe fished the river too - maybe next time?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Fair play Wurzel and I take your points, but will you say for the record that you don’t believe in over fishing exists? The bass fishing isn’t as good as it was a few years ago; the cod fishing has been crap for years now. I do think climate change has something to do with it but its mostly over fishing of one kind or another.

However commercial pressure has eased for thornbacks and smoothound as they are plentiful in my area. I think the direction of the commercial effort has changed a bit with more part timers targeting bass inshore in the summer months.

Im not saying that you over fish, from what I gather you mostly work well offshore and rest your marks when needed.

Hello Sam

No I don't believe over fishing exists, not in the same context as anglers and others do anyway.

The bass fishing was not good for us either, I've had worse, perhaps next year will be the best for many years how can you tell?.

Cod are effected by climate, fishing effort has very little if anything to do with it.

Have you seen all these part-timers? I have not. I think there is a lot less, and if the 40cm and 100mm nets goes ahead there will be even less.

Who is over fishing? As one of the top earners in the area, compared to a small part-timer I could be classed as over fishing, but compared to a French pair team????

Hello Sam

No I don't believe over fishing exists, not in the same context as anglers and others do anyway.

Hi Wurzel,

You must have seen the picture of the sand eel trawler on John Brennans web site, tied up the dock waiting to be unloaded? I know it was a old photo but i think its worth looking at again with regards to over fishing?

regards barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

With respect Wurzel yes I have seen the part timers, the boat boat I worked on has been sold on a couple of times, the skipper now runs a IP24 part time, there are now a few small fast neting boats that wiz out for the best bit of tide shoot their gear, haul it then wiz back again.

I dont know if this puts more pressure on the upper reaches of our rivers, but I do know there are far fewer bass there than there was even three years ago.

How do you see over fishing then, please do tell.

Edited by frankthebass

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

Hi Wurzel,

You must have seen the picture of the sand eel trawler on John Brennans web site, tied up the dock waiting to be unloaded? I know it was a old photo but i think its worth looking at again with regards to over fishing?

regards barry

Hello Barry

It does not explain why other stocks of unfished sand eel have depleted at the same rate, even RSB have now agreed that over fishing is not the cause of the depletion of sand eels. commercial fisher men at one point were demanding an apology.