safety afloat

zedhead

im in the market for some boating safety equipment, namely a life jacket or boyancy aid and was wondering if any of you experienced reservoir trout anglers / offshore anglers could reccomend which of these to go for, obviously a boyancy aid is just foam where as the life jacket is gas inflated but does it matter which I choose for both reservoir and offshore work?

Basically, i suppose it boils down to which is safest.

im in the market for some boating safety equipment, namely a life jacket or boyancy aid and was wondering if any of you experienced reservoir trout anglers / offshore anglers could reccomend which of these to go for, obviously a boyancy aid is just foam where as the life jacket is gas inflated but does it matter which I choose for both reservoir and offshore work?

Hi Zedhead, I can't help you myself but the lads on the kayak forum talk about this alot, PFD's I think they call them. I found this thread

Might help to ask the question there.

This is what I posted the last time the subject came up:

"There are a lot of misconceptions about buoyancy aids and lifejackets. A buoyancy aid is designed for strong swimmers in lightweight clothing in calm waters. It won't always turn you over, especially when wearing waterproofs and thermals, and you could end up face down in the water and thus drown. In fact there are strict laws on selling the right type.

I used to sell lifejackets myself, and more recently went to a press day at leading supplier, Crewsaver. Here we were given a run down plus demonstrations of the various types and their uses. Despite being a total non-swimmer I volunteered to jump in the pool fully clothed wearing a lifejacket. Crewsaver wouldn't let me do so wearing a buoyancy aid!

They also pointed out that if wearing heavy waterproof and thermal clothing when doing something relatively sedentary like angling it was important to choose a lifejacket with 275 Newtons of buoyancy. This is because with air trapped in your clothing a "standard" 150 Newton lifejacket may not turn you upright. As Jeepster said you could be left floating face down.

It's also important to choose a self-inflating model. A friend of mine fell overboard and banged his head on the gunwhale and knocked himself out. If he hadn't been wearing a self-inflating lifejacket Mark would now be dead!

I'd add that one of the most dangerous times is when you get in and out of the boat. Therefore my lifejacket goes on before I get into the boat, and stays on until I get out."

P.S. Here's a link to another earlier topic; http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...hl=buoyancy+aid

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well sort of. It has to be safe AND comfortable enough that you will really wear it.

I'm sure there are UK equivalent versions but this is the one that Jan & I use. Almost not noticeable when fishing or boating but will float you face up unless you are wearing about 100lbs of lead weights on your feet in addition to your clothing. Self-inflating when immersed and a manual pull tab (the yellow thing) plus a tube for blowing it up by mouth. Self-righting with a head rest.

23762a.jpg

Click Here for details.

As I said on the kayak thread, we are getting replacements this week for the 4 year old ones we have now (maybe 5 years old - I forget). They are still good but getting a little tatty from lots of use and we decided to treat ourselves to new ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve has echoed what I have always reccomended.Dont forget that he did quite a lot of research into this back in his SAS days.

Newts point about making sure that it is comfortable/practical to fish in is a terrific one.I used to be a "always took it but usually sat on it" life jacket guy untill I went in!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I don't know anything about the UK boating regulations but if there are any for 'required safety devices' you might want to double check.

In the US for both fresh and salt water, is it required that there be a life vest on board for each person. The standard ones simply have to be readily available but the inflatable ones must be worn to satisfy the rules.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There is indeed a lot more to safety afloat than just having a lifejacket.

As well as a couple of pieces of ancillary equipment a sound knowledge of "watermanship" will keep you out of trouble.Allthough a lot of it is common sense like all things getting some one experienced to show you is best.

Equipment wise you always need to make sure that you have a second means of propulsion.On really big or wild waters this may mean a second "get me home" engine rather than just a pair of oars.

On the subject of engines always make sure you have sufficient fuel and basic spares,especially shear pins.Above all make sure you know how to use the engine and carry our routine repairs.

A good anchor and enough rope for it to work properly are also part of your safety equipment as are other"standard" items such as a bailer.

Regardless of weather conditions when you set out you should always carry a compass (it can be totally disorientating and impossible to navigate without one in fog).A good high powered spot light is essential for fast motoring in the dark so you dont hit any flotsam and either hole your boat or loose your sheer pin.

I have got flares that I carry on big waters such as reservoirs.lochs and loughs but question there use in freshwater but you never know.

No need for VHF obviously but a charged, working mobile phone is a good life line.

It would take a book to go into it all but I hope this will give you something to think about.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Lots of good points there budgie, all of which will be helpful, Im not a complete novice to boating but as you say it is always good to get advice from the more experienced, thanks once again.

By the way, would you know of any good books on the subject? theres almost certainly going to be american books on boat fishing but what about books specific to uk.

Cheers Zed.