Petition the PM, on-line in 2 mins, to save the fish stocks

fishyrob

Guest challenge
Barry, if NTZ's were estabished, they would also affect RSA's, as NOTHING could be TAKEN from the ZONE. This is precedented by the fact that with the last cod bans, charter skippers and private boats were prohibited from landing cod also. This is also precedented by the fact that Bass Nursery Areas are also prohibited to both Commercial fishermen and RSA's (except from the shore, which I dont agree with) So please dont think that anglers wouldnt be affected, because they would. And I am sure if areas were designated that charter skippers were working, some would also jump on the Anti-NTZ cripple cart.

I am also very suprised that you find your fishing on the south coast unaffected by the changes. Perhaps you always fished for pouting and flounders? Its a shame, because fifteen years ago I could have taken you to catch double figure bass under beachy head, in numbers, or out on the TableTops. Or fishing for 4lb+ plaice from Hayling bay. Not hoping for, but fishing for. Or numbers of blonde Rays off various banks around Selsey bill. Or forty tope over thirty pounds in five hours fishing in the channel. Even in the last five years, the average size of the Black Bream on my trips has dropped by one third, and all the fishing mentioned before, I couldnt find for you anymore, even if you paid me double. So, I am definately not happy with the general standard of my fishing over the last ten years. I wonder if anybody else out there is happy with the level of their catches over the last decade. Anyone reading this catching more and more fish, year on year?

Wurzel, I would truly love to come out and see for myself you going about your business. Not possible this side of Christmas unfortunately, but the way the winds are happening, I guess you arent doing so much at the moment. I will PM you with contact details etc. But one other thing. I guess you are familiar with a bank called the Kentish Knock. Many of the older Essex RSA's, charter skippers and commercials will probably know the name with fondness. Tell me what happened there?

quote fisyrob

Anyone reading this catching more and more fish, year on year?

Yes we have just had our best cod fishing season in years.

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/PHOTOS%20SEPT-OCT%2006.htm

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote fisyrob

Sorry, I meant to keep that specific to the south coast as that is where most of my sea-fishing has been these past few years. But seeing as you have had your best cod season, what would you put it down to? Do you think its because North Sea Cod stocks are at an all time high?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OUR FISH STOCKS

quote fisyrob

Sorry to be on your case, but I notice that your vessel has been working since 2001(perhaps longer, just been surfing your site). Would you happen to keep your own statistics year on year? Total weights landed, but also, and very importantly, individual specimen sizes (not every fish, but say best weight of each species each year) I'm hoping that your answer is yes, and that you wouldnt mind to share the statistics with us. The same as Wurzels logs, would they not show any patterns of demise if the demise is happening? Although there are lots of variables in year on year comparisons, such as days lost to weather, I am sure they could be factored out to the point. What do you say? It would give some hard fact to this debate? Cool shots of the whales, by the way. You are a very priviledged chap to encounter these creatures in your "office" routinely!

Barry, if NTZ's were estabished, they would also affect RSA's, as NOTHING could be TAKEN from the ZONE. This is precedented by the fact that with the last cod bans, charter skippers and private boats were prohibited from landing cod also. This is also precedented by the fact that Bass Nursery Areas are also prohibited to both Commercial fishermen and RSA's (except from the shore, which I dont agree with) So please dont think that anglers wouldnt be affected, because they would. And I am sure if areas were designated that charter skippers were working, some would also jump on the Anti-NTZ cripple cart.

I am also very suprised that you find your fishing on the south coast unaffected by the changes. Perhaps you always fished for pouting and flounders? Its a shame, because fifteen years ago I could have taken you to catch double figure bass under beachy head, in numbers, or out on the TableTops. Or fishing for 4lb+ plaice from Hayling bay. Not hoping for, but fishing for. Or numbers of blonde Rays off various banks around Selsey bill. Or forty tope over thirty pounds in five hours fishing in the channel. Even in the last five years, the average size of the Black Bream on my trips has dropped by one third, and all the fishing mentioned before, I couldnt find for you anymore, even if you paid me double. So, I am definately not happy with the general standard of my fishing over the last ten years. I wonder if anybody else out there is happy with the level of their catches over the last decade. Anyone reading this catching more and more fish, year on year?

Wurzel, I would truly love to come out and see for myself you going about your business. Not possible this side of Christmas unfortunately, but the way the winds are happening, I guess you arent doing so much at the moment. I will PM you with contact details etc. But one other thing. I guess you are familiar with a bank called the Kentish Knock. Many of the older Essex RSA's, charter skippers and commercials will probably know the name with fondness. Tell me what happened there?

Hi Fishy rob, Perhaps you should re-read my posts, Of course i'm aware of the implications of ntz. The point that i have put forward recently is that the petition is refering to a ban on commercial only in differant areas. This to me is one sided. I have said prevoiusly if you read, that if there is ntz created the pain should be for all and not just commercial.

To give you a clue as to who i am perhaps you look at Paul Whittalls, skippers notice board on www.deepsea.co I'm the ugly one in red behind the picture of a blonde.

cheers barry

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
Sorry to be on your case, but I notice that your vessel has been working since 2001(perhaps longer, just been surfing your site). Would you happen to keep your own statistics year on year? Total weights landed, but also, and very importantly, individual specimen sizes (not every fish, but say best weight of each species each year) I'm hoping that your answer is yes, and that you wouldnt mind to share the statistics with us. The same as Wurzels logs, would they not show any patterns of demise if the demise is happening? Although there are lots of variables in year on year comparisons, such as days lost to weather, I am sure they could be factored out to the point. What do you say? It would give some hard fact to this debate? Cool shots of the whales, by the way. You are a very priviledged chap to encounter these creatures in your "office" routinely!

I have records back to 2002 when I started with john and Michele. I don’t keep records of what was kept every trip, but I am sure we could give you some kind of average over the year. I know that john has records of every wreck we have visited, when we fished it what it produced and the weather conditions etc.

If you want all this information you are asking a lot. If you just want information to be able to distinguish a trend from year to year then I don’t see why we cannot sort something for you.

I think we could get you the best weight for say cod and ling for each year. for example, I believe that in 2005 we had about 15 cod over twenty pounds and one over 30lb but this year we had about 20 fish over twenty pounds and two over 30lbs these being cod that is.

If it’s information like that then I will ask john and Michele if we could sort something for you.

By the way, I don’t think that cod are at an all time high in the North Sea, I just believe that the way we manage our fishery has paid dividends.

Regards.

Hi Fishy rob, Perhaps you should re-read my posts, Of course i'm aware of the implications of ntz. The point that i have put forward recently is that the petition is refering to a ban on commercial only in differant areas. This to me is one sided. I have said prevoiusly if you read, that if there is ntz created the pain should be for all and not just commercial.

To give you a clue as to who i am perhaps you look at Paul Whittalls, skippers notice board on www.deepsea.co I'm the ugly one in red behind the picture of a blonde.

cheers barry

Pretty blonde though...... I take your point about the wording, it does look targetted towards commercials only, but dont forget this is a petition to the government, not setting a law down in the EU, if you get my point. Personally I see it as a way to show the government the level of concern that they are not taking ICES advice when deciding, or negotiating, fisheries policy. Others see it simply as a way to let the government know how many people are concerned about the marine environment. And I did re-read your posts. Do you crew on Offshore Rebel? I keep promising my Eastern European tennants a trip, but my regular charter boat wouldnt fish eight so comfortably. Perhaps the rebel could? And you could explain to them why they are hungry, because one of the guys asked me what you meant by that when they were reading over my shoulder the other day.

Challenger, just a summary would be enough, it might give some idea, although I can think now of more and more reasons that it wont be particularly scientific. For example, when you are wrecking, have you fished the same wrecks year in year out or do you tend to try new wrecks each year etc etc. Plus, I'm guessing that each year chasing the cod makes your boat and crew better at it It might give some indication though. It is very refreshing to hear you say that you feel that fishery management is paying off. NOt sure we can say the same down on the south coast though, at least where cod are concerned. Down here it seems to me that the whiting arent as thick as previous years either!

quote fisyrob

Second thoughts Fishyrob,

I do fish all of the channel but for diversity do give weymouth port a try as it gets better every year as far as i'm concerned, fabulous. Looking forward to trying the north sea next year. I also wish to try the scillies, perhaps i'm greedy.

cheers barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Pretty blonde though...... I take your point about the wording, it does look targetted towards commercials only, but dont forget this is a petition to the government, not setting a law down in the EU, if you get my point. Personally I see it as a way to show the government the level of concern that they are not taking ICES advice when deciding, or negotiating, fisheries policy. Others see it simply as a way to let the government know how many people are concerned about the marine environment. And I did re-read your posts. Do you crew on Offshore Rebel? I keep promising my Eastern European tennants a trip, but my regular charter boat wouldnt fish eight so comfortably. Perhaps the rebel could? And you could explain to them why they are hungry, because one of the guys asked me what you meant by that when they were reading over my shoulder the other day.

Challenger, just a summary would be enough, it might give some idea, although I can think now of more and more reasons that it wont be particularly scientific. For example, when you are wrecking, have you fished the same wrecks year in year out or do you tend to try new wrecks each year etc etc. Plus, I'm guessing that each year chasing the cod makes your boat and crew better at it It might give some indication though. It is very refreshing to hear you say that you feel that fishery management is paying off. NOt sure we can say the same down on the south coast though, at least where cod are concerned. Down here it seems to me that the whiting arent as thick as previous years either!

Hi Fishyrob,

you got this one in before mine this time. I don't crew for Paul, i wish i did, he had for the most part of this year a person called Ji who was blo.............dy grate. The rebel as you are aware is a cat the skippers brill, i have had my best year so far with him. He would take ten but prefers eight or nine, do try, i'm not canvassing for him honest. Do you not read the papers where there is a concern now and again where certain europeans are targeting fresh water rivers and lakes for lunch?

cheers barry

Edited by barry luxton

Guest challenge

Fishy rob.

The majority of the wrecks we visit we will have visited them before, but we are finding new wrecks every year. Must of found twenty plus new ones last year.

We do try to only visit the wrecks once a year.

We do cover thousands of square miles in a season, fishing as far north as north of the forth to as far easterly as the Danish coast

As for John (the skipper) getting better at it each year? He has been doing it since the late sixty’s so I would of thought he had got the general idea of it by now.

But on saying that, he is the first one to say that he still learns something every day he is at sea.

Regards.

Put simply I won't be able to fish from the shore if nothing is done, there will be no point. You won't be able to make a living at all :wallbash: . Which is worse?

Mr Trubshaw if I thought that for one moment what you have just said had the slightest bit of truth in it I would be the first to sign.

I can accept areas of NTZ like Lundy as nature reserves, but to close off huge areas of sea is just not necessary, the UK fishing fleet has had enough piled on it in recent years, give it a chance, on the whole fish stocks are not any where as bad as you are led to believe, even cod, as the Whitby charter fleet has proved this year.

I fish to live and live to fish.