Great priced braid for Piking

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard bad things about spiderwire, 1 bieng as its teflon caoted it kinks alot, and i can confirm this as ive used it, id strongly advise anyone using it to put some tape on the spool before putting on the spiderwire as it will slide on the spool if you pull it, even with the drag set loose. Also beware of a little bit of abration the slightest ammount can cause it to snap far to easily. i wouldnt reccomend it to be honest.

Another good place to get cheap braid is from glasgow angling center, or main branch down in england i think, fishing mega store, they have tons of cheap deals at december, i got 50lb Tidecutter for £10

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,all braids need to be attached to the spool with a couple of feet of mono to avoid slipping.Ive never really found much difference between the performance of Origonal and Stealth to be honest.Stealth may be a bit quiter going through the rings when retrieved I suppose but thats not really something I would worry about!

Ive used Spiderwire for a long time now and never had a problem with it be it 10lb for long trotting or 130lb for Cats.

Andy out of interest what size have you/are you using?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Andy,all braids need to be attached to the spool with a couple of feet of mono to avoid slipping.Ive never really found much difference between the performance of Origonal and Stealth to be honest.Stealth may be a bit quiter going through the rings when retrieved I suppose but thats not really something I would worry about!

Ive used Spiderwire for a long time now and never had a problem with it be it 10lb for long trotting or 130lb for Cats.

Andy out of interest what size have you/are you using?

spool size? - ibf 70

or line ? - 50lb, 230ft

the stuffs alright i guess but i hate the teflon coating it seems to weaken the line rather than strengthen it, from personal opinion though i tried cutting 50lb spiderwire with a pair of scicors, i done the same with 50lb tide cutter, the result was the spiderwire gave in about 15 seconds faster than the tide cutter.

ya know its all down to how confident you are using your gear that reflects on how good your gear can perform so everyones opinions will be diffrent. although 1 good point i can give to spiderwire is i managed to catch my pb pike with it so im not totaly dismade with the stuff. :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Yes it was diameter/breaking strain I was interested in Andy in case you had been using some "light" stuff. Interesting you mention cutting with scissors.I too have found the Stealth cuts easier than the origonal.

Andy,all braids need to be attached to the spool with a couple of feet of mono to avoid slipping.

That's a very good way of doing it but I find by wrapping a cpouple of turns of insulating tape round the spool, it gives the braid something to 'bite' into. This is the way I've been doing for the last coiple of seasons and I never had braid slippage since. You also have the advantage of a less knots. You need two knots to apply the methods you've described which may in some cases create poor line lay. By using the method I've described (a Gerry castles tip) you minimise the number of knots, thereby reducing the number of knots.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's a very good way of doing it but I find by wrapping a cpouple of turns of insulating tape round the spool, it gives the braid something to 'bite' into. This is the way I've been doing for the last coiple of seasons and I never had braid slippage since. You also have the advantage of a less knots. You need two knots to apply the methods you've described which may in some cases create poor line lay. By using the method I've described (a Gerry castles tip) you minimise the number of knots, thereby reducing the number of knots.

Poach,In reality the reason 90% of my reels are loaded like that is because I have several hundred yards of mono backing out the relatively short length of braid I actually load! Most of my reels only actually have 75m on them.

I load my lure reels all the way (so use the short length of mono method,but Im sure your tape method would work equally as well) as I dont usually go above 6000 size and 150m of 80lb is about right.My drift float fishing reels have 150-200m on them (same conection) and my big cat reels are filled up all the way too.This though is mainly due to the distance Im fishing.If ever I was to come across Pike or Cats that would strip me down to my backing knot then the integrity of the knot would be the last thing on my mind!

I take your point about not having a bump/two but in practice Ive not found the much softer braid to actually have a problem (ie affecting the spool profile) like mono does.

Once again though if it works thats all that matters! Ive lost count of the reel drags (especially star drags on multipliers) Ive "repaired" because they kept slipping no matter how much you tightened them up! Good job Im honest!

And heres me thinking I had done ok with ULTIMA braid for £15 a 300M spool!! Mind you i ddin't have to spend on postage so......... :P Mind you I did buy 6 spools!! And 6 single handed carbon spinning rods and 5 L/H multiplyers and I did spend £355!!

But I do hope to be able to least one and as long as Mrs Goddard doesn't find out!! Well she was happy with the 5Ft solid carbon rod and TINY reelI got her!!! All she needs now is a silly hat and one GNOME!! :lol:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Like I said Chris I dont usually buy braid in the UK as its much cheaper from the US.Had some Fox stuff at trade when I had an account with LEEDA but thats it.Didnt really need it but at that price I thought it would be daft not to.

I posted a "heads up" on a couple of sites I visit regular.On one I was told (and given a link to the site) about counterfeit Power Pro braid.Have you ever come across "counterfeit" tackle during your involvement with the trade Chris?