Yellowfin's ?

Davy Holt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Toerag

Roddy, who last year moved to New Zealand, has just re-vamped his web site and, unfortunately, the detailed report of the 5 week period he spend skippering Harmattan during the 2003 season has 'disappeared'. It was a great read! As well as Roddy's observations and humour, theer were some excellent photographs - particularly of the Marlin. But there was also a good picture of one of the deepwater Six Gill Sharks - pink in colour.

To me though most exciting, and I got it chapter and verse from him, his crewman Olaf and the anglers over dinner, were the events of Sunday, 30th March. On that day Roddy raises THREE 1000lb plus Blue Marlin - the best the largest he's ever seen! Somewhere I'm sure I've got a copy of that part of his report - I'll need to hunt around on my laptop.

Any rate there still are some others bits and pieces under SCRIBBLINGS on that site. They're worth reading.

And yes, Hawaii. I've caught them there and I guess, on balance, it's probably slightly cheaper than fishing Ascension....JUST.

Dave

Hi Davy

Another place that Dave (Vagabond) mentioned was Baja (Mexico). I've fished for Yellowfin along parts of Pacific coast of Central America but you'll probably be able to put together a cheaper holiday there, from somewhere like Cabo san Lucas or East Cape, than any of those other venues. They may not be the biggest from there but all YFT fight! If you're interested it might be worth reading George Laudrum's posts on the Trip Reporter section of the Marlinnut forum.

Dave

Edited by PanamaJack

Thanks folks and for once i must admit , Davy is not trying to put the blame on me, I am the one who suggested it all, even down to watching i fish in the first place, absolutely love the programme :)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Is that the same guy who fished Maderia?

That's Roddy. He originally hails from Alderney and, apart from Madeira where he gained his reputation, he also spent time on Midway (Central Pacific), Faial in the Azores and somewhere in the Caribbean - can't for the life of me remember where though.

Re Yellowfins in Cuba

The boats in the Northern Cayos dont have a great track record fishing for these I can only presume that's because there are not a lot of them about, so they target other species, namely Blackfin and Bonito.

I have heard the Cayos such as Cayo Largo on the Southern (Caribbean) coast is a much better bet but it is considerably more expensive to get a charter down there 800CUP as oposed to 400CUP per day for the boat.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Is that the same guy who fished Maderia?

:clap2: I've fished Ascension and Madeira, Costa Rica too and there are yellowfins at all of them but Ascension has to be the easiest place to catch them and they do run to over 200lb. The local boats were £50 a day for a 5 hour trip with rods and bait supplied. 80lb Penn rods with 12/0 senators loaded with 100lb nylon, basic but effective. I used a Shakespeare all roller standup stick with an Albacore 50 with 80lb braid and did fine but did have 1 pull off due to their softish mouths but the fishing was great. Flights are cheaper if you book at least 3 months in advance, or they were 2 years ago. Phone calls are expensive but everything else is relatively cheap. Good thing is, no jabs or malaria pills required and no time zone change. Fly straight from RAF Brize Norton to Ascension, 8 hour overnight flight, loads of leg room and immigration a formality. Fix up an AN get together and we'll all have fun. :clap2:

Just to add a little more to Norm's observations on Ascension. All accommodation is controlled by the Obsidian Group - a double room works out to £70 a night. And Apex flights, booked more than 28 days in advance, are £870 return. They leave every 4 days, re-fuel in Ascension and then continue down to the Falklands. (Whilst they normally use Tristars military requirements take priority so you can find yourself on a hired plane configured for charter use.)

Don't expect too much in the way of night life - there're just 5 bars on the island and two of those are on the respective military bases. The Volcano Club on the US base can be quite lively but, even though you can pay in UK or Ascension £s all change is rendered in US Dollars. But, if you plan to go between say February and April you can view the Great Green Turtles coming ashore at night to lay eggs and, later in that period, hatchlings making their way back to sea. (If I can get it to work there's a picture of one on this Photobucket link.)

There're also some pictures of the Yellowfin Tuna here. They range from a 74 pounder up to a fish of 225lbs. A couple of the shots show bent rods. Don't be tempted to fish too light - 16lb test - as I did! We were catching 'schoolies' in the 30 to 50lb range so for a bit of sport I put over the light gear. An hour and a half later we'd actually started to make an impression on what was patently a 100lb plus fish - you can even see the crewman's got the gaff out - when the line popped. Just a tad too much pressure! With those, on light tackle, you forget all about pre-sets push the drag up until the line 'sings' then ease it back just a tad. Obviously as it comes closer, with little stretch in the line, you need to ease the drag back a fraction - more than I did!

Any rate Davy if you're planning to go I'd suggest you don't leave it too long. A recent decision by our Foreign Office over-ruled the island Council's decision to allow people (St Helenans on contract and outsiders) to buy, rather than rent property. I suspect, given its strategic importance, particularly to the Americans, it's likely to go the way of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean soon - restricted to military personnel ONLY.

Dave

Just to add a little more to Norm's observations on Ascension. All accommodation is controlled by the Obsidian Group - a double room works out to £70 a night. And Apex flights, booked more than 28 days in advance, are £870 return. They leave every 4 days, re-fuel in Ascension and then continue down to the Falklands. (Whilst they normally use Tristars military requirements take priority so you can find yourself on a hired plane configured for charter use.)

Don't expect too much in the way of night life - there're just 5 bars on the island and two of those are on the respective military bases. The Volcano Club on the US base can be quite lively but, even though you can pay in UK or Ascension £s all change is rendered in US Dollars. But, if you plan to go between say February and April you can view the Great Green Turtles coming ashore at night to lay eggs and, later in that period, hatchlings making their way back to sea. (If I can get it to work there's a picture of one on this Photobucket link.)

There're also some pictures of the Yellowfin Tuna here. They range from a 74 pounder up to a fish of 225lbs. A couple of the shots show bent rods. Don't be tempted to fish too light - 16lb test - as I did! We were catching 'schoolies' in the 30 to 50lb range so for a bit of sport I put over the light gear. An hour and a half later we'd actually started to make an impression on what was patently a 100lb plus fish - you can even see the crewman's got the gaff out - when the line popped. Just a tad too much pressure! With those, on light tackle, you forget all about pre-sets push the drag up until the line 'sings' then ease it back just a tad. Obviously as it comes closer, with little stretch in the line, you need to ease the drag back a fraction - more than I did!

Any rate Davy if you're planning to go I'd suggest you don't leave it too long. A recent decision by our Foreign Office over-ruled the island Council's decision to allow people (St Helenans on contract and outsiders) to buy, rather than rent property. I suspect, given its strategic importance, particularly to the Americans, it's likely to go the way of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean soon - restricted to military personnel ONLY.

Dave

:clap2: I was very fortunate when I went, I was invited to promote the sea angling and it was all free. They were a bit slow getting the infrastructure up and running after my visit so it was really a waste of time but not for me. There weren't the big game boats there then, just the local boats and the RAF sports club boat. There is now another boat, I think it belongs to the Cable & Wireless fishing club and the commercial big game boats. The fishing from the shore is fantastic, especially at night. Jacks, sharks, grouper, morays etc, all with teeth and attiude. With the turtles laying their eggs from about October to March that is the time to go if you have a non-fishing partner. Diving is good in the warm, clear water and you can always hill walk on the volcanic hills, or play golf on the "browns". I believe it's the second worst golf club in the world, it used to be the worst but they have a "bar" now. As said previously, all the accommodation is owned by a cartel, as is the car hire but it's reasonable. I stayed with the RAF in the sports centre, right on the water and the food was good and plentiful. I'd do it again, even if I had to pay as the fishing was so good. I still have the phone number of a local skipper if you want a cheap boat. :clap2:

I seemingly have a boat trip (complete with armed guard) booked in the Dominican Republic in September next year, courtesy of my brand new son in law......well he will be on the 17th.....hopefully will catch one or two then.... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/