Close season FISHING thread

Kappa

Yesterday evening's pretty carp - not the perch I was hoping for, but the best looking fish I've caught for a while, like an old estate carp:

IMG_2911_zpstr3uj5fp.jpg

I even had the pond to myself, except for a gravel-throated ruffian chucking lures all over the place ;)

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 3

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm fascinated to hear about the Zander, Rich. Do you mind saying which canal?

I'll kick this one off! Has anyone been doing anything new or different this close season?

I was out on the canal this Sunday. Trying again but this time properly prepared with my new ultralight lure outfit.

Second cast, jig ... drop ... jig DONK and a pretty perch gave a sprited account of itself on the light rod:

attachicon.gif14271257065380.jpg

Soon followed by another larger one. A move to another lock produced the first zander of the day. Only a baby but very pretty:

attachicon.gif14271257232261.jpg

After the boats started it got harder but a revisit to the first swim sealed the hatrick:

attachicon.gif14271257487192.jpg

A great day's fishing, I ended up with around 10 Zander 3 perch and a pike! Has anyone else been out doing something a bit different? Rich

john clarke

Well that didn't go to plan (for me at least)!

Fished with Andrew this afternoon. I used the pole to try and tempt the big perch in his lake.

Had two bigguns. Unfortunately they were big bloody carp, a 17 and an 18lber. Thank god I fitted a side puller kit on my pole or else I'd still be there!

I'd post a picture but I'm not sure I can bring myself to post one on a public forum of me holding a carp AND wearing camo. In my defence it's Army Goretex that was given to me and it's too warm and waterproof to replace with non-camo.

Rich

Ha ha very good rich, I think after that description you have to put a pic up!

It was a good fun afternoon, especially watching rich spend ages landing the first carp, moving swims to avoid any more, dropping his pole float and worm into the margin of his new swim only to be immediately attached to an even bigger one :D

The lake is not stocked to conmercial levels so it's not heaving with carp and they obviously go to a decent size. All the carpers casting at the island with boilies are missing a trick...

I fared better with the perch ironically because I did have a leger rod out by the island, and that's where the perch were for some reason, maybe because it was sheltered from the strong wind hammering into our margin (which we thought would be a good thing). I had my best return so far with perch of 2.11, 2.10, 2.03 and another that dropped off after the worm had masked the hook. The 2.10 was the same fish as the 2.09 the other evening from the same swim but 30 yards away by the island.

Might try again later :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm guessing that the weather has been pretty similar in North Wilts and Oxfordshire compared to Gloucestershire? I'm thinking of heading down to a shallower (4/5ft) venue in the Cotswold Water Park to have a go for some tench next week.

Gorgeous carp by the way Anderoo.

Edited by Christian T

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

I'm close to Cotswold water park, Christian. Might be worth a go - the place which is fishing well is a bit weird, often produces tench in the winter. The CWP pits can be hard until they get a bit of colour.

It still feels pretty cold here, especially on the end of the wind. I was out again this evening (a few more nice perch, no big ones, and a rogue 12lb common) and my hands were frozen! It's a pretty deep little lake too. The perch haven't spawned yet but the carp and tench are certainly awake.