Liqidised or mash?

markp

Whats your opinion on the best way to use bread for chub fishing? At the moment im just giving it a quick blitz in the wifes smoothy maker :P and im more than happy, but was wondering what other peoples opinions were?

I use liquidised in a cage feeder, but if I'm float fishing then I use mash.

I'm happy to use the really cheap supermarket pap for liquidised bread but prefer proper bread for mash.

Don't forget to keep back some crust from the proper bread, sometimes a big chunk of that on a size 4 is all you need for bait.

Alternatively put the bread in a sandwich and fish with cheesepaste, my number one winter chub bait. :D

I don't know how relevant this is to coarse fishing, although it's a lot like chub fishing. I used to go through all the messy routine with a bucket and water for mullet fishing but started using a food processor on dry loaves for a few reasons. It is less messy. I can do a load in one batch, put it back in the bags the loaves came in, suck the air out to save room and stick them in the freezer. Most importantly though it lets me get mobile, I can put the bags in the front of my chest waders, can't do that with a big wet bucket! I just use the cheapo supermarket bread, blitzed as it comes. I find it holds together well for throwing and still breaks up pretty quick. The only thing I'd be a bit concerned about for coarse fishing is that small pieces of crust float off, which would bother me in freshwater ( a bit like chucking floating casters in, a definite no-no to me!)

The only thing I'd be a bit concerned about for coarse fishing is that small pieces of crust float off, which would bother me in freshwater ( a bit like chucking floating casters in, a definite no-no to me!)

I cut the crusts off for liquidised bread; the pigeons in the garden get those. :)

I cut the crusts off for liquidised bread; the pigeons in the garden get those. :)

Keep the crusts with the bread when blitzing it. If you walk around, start upstream, by the time you get to the bottom of the fishery those ol' rub-a-dubs will have been feeding on the bits of crust that floated down to them for hours. They should then be suckers for your hookbait.

Cheers Peter

I leave the crusts on proper bread when I'm float fishing but if I'm using liquidised it'll be in a feeder when I tend to stay put and I want the fish to come to me.

for chub, ive never found liquidised bread that good for float fishing, i never seem to draw in bigger fish with it, just the smaller stuff. I suppose that maybe the big chub cant be bothered to chase crumbs down the river, but they may chase larger lumps of mashed bread, which flies around less in the flow than liquidised anyway.

going back to the original question, 'whats the best way of using bread for chub fishing', i would have to say that it is best used mashed on the surface, for locating where the fish are.

once you've found them there are a loads of better hook baits than bread to use.

i could go into it further but i'm not sure if id feel comfortable revealing such information on the net.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I think Wunnus just about summed up my veiws.

I very rarely use liquidised bread by itself anymore.I now normally add desicated coconut and milk powder.Makes a very volotile mix and can be used (if the bread is fresh) dry for fishing on the top (great for snatching bleak,small roach and rudd etc on a whipp) or dampened slightly and used on the bottom where once again its very active.

With this mix you get that much activity from it people often think youve got a load of Tench in your swim! and this is even in deep(10'+) water!

Great in a feeder to.

Also on the Mash v Liquidised issue I very rarely use Mash in still water or vice versa.

Sorry to deviate you were asking about Chub.For them I always use mash.With Mash Ive found dry stale bread better for preparing it.I use a bowl, a drop of river water,put the whole lot except for the end pieces in and mash with a potatoe masher!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!