massive rock pool filled with bass

***Simon***

i know where a big rock pool is just about waiste deep with water. last time i went down there, sunday evening, there was around 50-70 bass in there biggest about 1lb and the smallest only few inches long.

i've tried to spin for them lol just for a bit of fun whilst the tide came in but to no avail. they're always in there, this wasnt the first time.

anyone know how i can get my hands on these, only want a bit of a challenge, aint gonna do anything with them. trust.

also i see quite a few shrimps and crabs in there but i've stopped going in the pool cos im scared of the weavers, lol. any one know how i can catch some bait for when the tide comes in? only shrimps and crabs?

my dad and i have had quite a few sizeable bass at this venue (dad had a 7 1/2lb) so i gotta beat him or i'll never hear the end of it. im gonna try bait fishing down there, hoping for a double figure.

theres loads of rocks here but theres also a bit of sand next to it. would i be better fishing on the sand as not to lose as much tackle or risk it on the rocks.

i've set a layline down at this venue before whilst the tide came in and we fished it using lures. we caught quite a few using the lure but absolutely nothing using the hooks baited with worm tipped with squid. we were catching on lures just 10m away from where the layline was. anyone have any suggestions why this could be?

anyone got any tackle suggestions for this type of fishing? rigs etc? bait collecting?

[ 19. July 2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: ***Simon*** ]

always look on the bright side of life

Fish constrained for some reason are often just not feeding and won't take anything. The bass and mullet in our marina gang up waiting for the cill to open at half tide (they seem to know when) and even though they are milling around by the dozen they are uncatchable. Watch your bass very carefully without showing youself - are they feeding at all? If so can you see what they are feeding on? Try ultra light coarse gear - a 5mt whip poked out from behind a rock, with freelined shrimp or a flake of shellfish on a size 10 hook or less, and 4lb line might tempt them.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

try useing live blennies at the mark over the high water, you will find them in rock pools, as for the bass in the large rock pool, are you sure they aint mullet?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

i am 110% sure they aint mullet. i seen loads of mullet in the harbour and i have been about 2 metres away from these and they are deffinitely bass.

what are blennies???? and how do i catch them??

has anyone got and method of catching shrimps and crabs on a larger scale??

always look on the bright side of life

blennies are small fish that live in rock pools you can find them under rocks, i read an artical by a fella who caught over ten doudles in a season on blennies.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

saw a rockpool with coins in once ,a completly round (about 4ft across) hole in the rock (about 3ft deep) and copper coins studded around its edge

its on the place where they used to quarry purbeck stone ,look down off the edge and theres a ledge at low tideish the holes revealed ,very strange

thinking about it it was portland stone quarry place

[ 20. July 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson