How do they do it ?

Newt

Portugal - a little fishing from the rocks. I have to wonder

- how could you get a decent size fish in through the rocks & waves

- once you did, if it was very heavy, how would you get it up to where you were standing?

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Looking at the gear they're using, looks like locals after food fish, which probably wouldn't be all that big.

You see that all around Europe :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Newt,

No tricks to fish this type of ground. Lots of our east coast cod fishing is done on similar stances. NO FINESSE!!!! 35lb mainline, fast reels and stiff rods. Hit and haul like theres no tomorow, else you will probaby loose the rig and fish.

Not for the faint hearted, or anyone used to clean sandy beaches :D:D

Tight Lines

Shaun

I remember seeing some Portugeese fishing from cliffs that were the same height as the white clifs of Dover. You would see them strike and after what seemed like 5 minutes of winding up would come a Bream of a pound or two. The tackle consisted of a wooden pole of about 10ft and a monster size centerpin. There was no casting involved just throw the rig over the edge and bat the spool a few times. The most amazing thing was watching them leaning over the edge to see when there tackle got to the bottom. I wouldnt go anywhere neer the edge too scary.

They have a neat trick. They have a drop net which attaches to the reel line with a clip-on slider. That way it runs down the line to the fish, and naturally hangs right under the fish. They can then haul up with the net rope in the usual way. I've not seen it done myself but a mate has watched them, and it sounds a very sensible technique to keep the drop net right by the fish.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk