Are you a fiend?

Stoaty

I don't know how many of you saw the picture in the Sun today of a live dog with hooks through it's snout that was supposed to be used for sharkbait. The headline called the people doing this "fiends" My question is when do you stop being a fiend when live baiting? Is live baiting with a fish instead of a dog any different? or a crab, or a worm, mollusc, bivalve or even a maggot. I suspect I would be a fiend if I used a badger or pet cat. Where do you 'fiends' draw the line. Posted Image

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All live baits are equal as far as I am concerned, unless someone tries to use a protected,endangered or in decline species

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MJB why did you need to get nasty, not once in the post did I mention what I do, as a matter of fact and you can ask anyone who has and does fish with me I don't livebait AT ALL. I suppose your signature is right, remember now why I was surfing for a while, people like you

[ 28. September 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Orca ]

ah right and there was no tone of sarcasm,accusation or condemnation there, aye right ..........whatever

Can only speak personally on the ethical issue in that cats, dogs, budgies or any similar animals or mammals, or parts of them, (apart from fur or feathers used in fly or lure tying), being used for bait is reprehensible. From a fishing point of view the decision is simpler.

The International Game Fish Association (IGFA) is the world governing body on salt and freshwater fishing. SFSA, NFSA, EFSA and hundreds of smaller clubs and organisations are affiliated to IGFA. Their angling regulations state quite clearly : "The following acts will disqualify a catch: Chumming with or using as bait the flesh, blood, skin or any part of mammals other than hair or pork rind used in lures designed for trolling or casting" unquote.