CB Radio

deanbmw

Been thinking of getting me a cb radio, (again after 20 odd years) is any one on here on it?, is there anybody still using them?

They used to be great fun in the 80s so I bet theres a few on here who had one.

so any good buddys out copy back. :thumbs:

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
Been thinking of getting me a cb radio, (again after 20 odd years) is any one on here on it?, is there anybody still using them?

They used to be great fun in the 80s so I bet theres a few on here who had one.

so any good buddys out copy back. :thumbs:

There's still a few using the cb's but soon to be banned totally I hear. :(

Guest Ferret1959

CB Radio was first introduced into the United Kingdom around 1972. These dates are hard to confirm accurately; certainly early use was known around the airports in the UK, particularly Stansted in 1973. Some claim that a few illegal CBs were in use in the 1960s. These early adopters used CB radios imported from the United States that were illegal to own and use. The usage of illegal CB radio peaked in 1980 and the UK Government was forced to legalise CB Radio. CB became legal in the United Kingdom on November 2nd, 1981; hence the logo stamped on all type approved radios of this era CB27/81 or CB934/81. A licence is required to operate a CB Radio. This was at one time available from most major Post Offices within the United Kingdom but is now obtained via Ofcom. The licence currently costs £15 (although it is free for under-21s and over-70s) but Ofcom has indicated its intention to deregulate the citizens' band from 2007.

In the run up to legalisation, some people wanted the old VHF bomber frequency around 220 MHz (unused since WW2) for UK CB. This would have offered much better conditions for CB: nice clear channels without the chronic overseas interference there is on 27 MHz. This interference is often so severe, it even stops local contacts from being made, rendering 27 MHz CB totally useless. However, the vast majority of users were not technically minded enough to realise what a bad slot 27MHz was, and had already purchased American-sourced equipment, so the preferred option for legalisation was the U.S. 27MHz AM system. While technically this was one of the poorest possible choices for a short range person-to-person radio system, and was already allocated for other services, the CB community lobbied vociferously for it. The final legalised service was a compromise - a band at 27MHz was allocated but using FM and offset channel frequencies 27.60125 - 27.99125 MHz which were incompatible with the U.S. system.

CB Radio was first introduced into the United Kingdom around 1972. These dates are hard to confirm accurately; certainly early use was known around the airports in the UK, particularly Stansted in 1973. Some claim that a few illegal CBs were in use in the 1960s. These early adopters used CB radios imported from the United States that were illegal to own and use. The usage of illegal CB radio peaked in 1980 and the UK Government was forced to legalise CB Radio. CB became legal in the United Kingdom on November 2nd, 1981; hence the logo stamped on all type approved radios of this era CB27/81 or CB934/81. A licence is required to operate a CB Radio. This was at one time available from most major Post Offices within the United Kingdom but is now obtained via Ofcom. The licence currently costs £15 (although it is free for under-21s and over-70s) but Ofcom has indicated its intention to deregulate the citizens' band from 2007.

In the run up to legalisation, some people wanted the old VHF bomber frequency around 220 MHz (unused since WW2) for UK CB. This would have offered much better conditions for CB: nice clear channels without the chronic overseas interference there is on 27 MHz. This interference is often so severe, it even stops local contacts from being made, rendering 27 MHz CB totally useless. However, the vast majority of users were not technically minded enough to realise what a bad slot 27MHz was, and had already purchased American-sourced equipment, so the preferred option for legalisation was the U.S. 27MHz AM system. While technically this was one of the poorest possible choices for a short range person-to-person radio system, and was already allocated for other services, the CB community lobbied vociferously for it. The final legalised service was a compromise - a band at 27MHz was allocated but using FM and offset channel frequencies 27.60125 - 27.99125 MHz which were incompatible with the U.S. system.

thing is it was illegal on am in the 80s but loads still used them ....just wondering if the same would happen today?

Stuff work go fishing.

Guest Ferret1959

Not many using am if any these days.

Side band is still used but the main fm bands will go if the government want it to.

I'm sure it will go the same way as am, just drift off in to the distance.

Plus most of the fm home based users are a bunch of wasters who just run burners and try out doining each other.

And the language on there is discusting, embarrassing and down right foul.

My opinion is don't bother with it. :(

Hiya, I used one till very recently, in my Tipper truck, and in the Jaeger. most of the tipper drivers use them, very helpful indeed. We didnt bother with any of the "handle" stuff tho'...as they were really only used for work...i.e. directions on site etc etc...tho one day, I was driving down from Dunfermline, past the Forth estuary, and got chatting to a guy on his dredger in the middle of the Forth,...he was up working here, from Hull !!!! Also, lots of foreign drivers still use them.....dont really know about any of the "distance" guys tho.

As Ferret says, there were lots of halfwits on it ....tho' ,they seem to be getting less and less nowadays....think they just text each other now !!!!! :clap2:

I still have a couple of units...dont want to get totally rid of really....in fact, last week, I gave away 5 of the things...one with a marine band too....again, they went to a tipper driver..... :thumbs:

I have been thinking of fitting one to the boat, as I do know a few boat owners that use them to keep in touch with home.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

just want something for the car ........camping and the like, would we nice to here the old crackle of the air waves again

Edited by deanbmw

Stuff work go fishing.

Mobile telephony killed the CB star.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.