Zander On The Warwickshire Avon

Elton

Posted on behalf of Nick. Please add all replies to this thread:

has anyone heard any reports of any zander catches on the warwickshire avon ?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

There are plenty of them but as with the Severn, it's difficult to get hard information about how far up they have penetrated.

I supose the man to ask would be Dave Pugh from the Lure Anglers site - he makes a living by guidinf predator anglers on the Avon and to a lesser extent, the Severn and zander are a major targey species.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

In view of some of the fish killing antics going on up there the people who fish the river for them would probably rather their stretches weren't posted up on the net.

Anyone see the Matt Hayes piece in Angling Times a few weeks back..? Publicise waters and you risk this kind of thing happening.

Guest Brumagem Phil
In view of some of the fish killing antics going on up there the people who fish the river for them would probably rather their stretches weren't posted up on the net.

Anyone see the Matt Hayes piece in Angling Times a few weeks back..? Publicise waters and you risk this kind of thing happening.

Seems our sport is becoming paralysed by fear and paranoia in one form or another.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Keeping them Eastern poachers at bay. :D

poachers, cookers, cullers, pike bait rustlers...........and so the list goes on!!!

Personally I just like catchin em and putting em back....but I've always been odd! :blink:

I fish the Avon for Zander on a regular basis.

If you want to catch fish I can guarantee fish at Lucy's mill in Stratford on the town stretch. Between the second weir and the bridge.

It is day ticket and pay on the bank. Best methods are live bait (bleak being the bait of choice)

Running ledgers (weight depending on flow), touch ledger as the bites can be hard to detect.

Strike at the slightest twitch, (not the bleak you have to get used to the difference) I have caught over 30 fish in a day secession, ranging in size from 10oz to 12lb.

I fish further up the Avon at several other locations, I find these hold big fish mainly and not the range of sizes found in Lucy's mill. I have in fact just got back from a days fishing, unfortunatly no Zander today, but 4 pike were had, (I used dead bait, small skimmers not the best in my opinion for z's but great for pike)

I had to fish a lock that backs on to the river as the level was really well up.

Me I always put them back, but have had many anglers giving me grief for doing so. I nearly came to blows with one idiot who was trying to insist I knock them on the head.

I have also seen a well know local fish and game supplier taking them home in large numbers!! And he is certainly not eastern European!!

I have eaten Zander and they are good, I lived in Sweden for some years and you find it in many restaurants and in the supermarkets.

I still believe it should be ok to take the odd fish home for your own personal use. I have not done so but toy with the idea from time to time. There certainly is no shortage of Zander on the Avon I rarely blank, Mostly at this time of year were the pike seem to get in.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Interesting stuff Bluerinse. I really must find the time to fish the Avon this summer and autumn. Any tips on fish location ? Are they under the bank, at the bottom of the inside ledge, out in the middle etc ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Interesting stuff Bluerinse. I really must find the time to fish the Avon this summer and autumn. Any tips on fish location ? Are they under the bank, at the bottom of the inside ledge, out in the middle etc ?

On the strech between the wier and the bridge they tend to be mid stream, if you position your self by the life boye ring you should fish midwater left or right, about 4 meters out the river starts to shallow, fish on the side of the ridge, the Z'S seem to patrole along the ridge,

cheers Bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"