mullet YAY!

basshead07

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jan 5 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Portsmouth Harbour. :clap2:

hi norm b

i live in portsmouth as well

wen did you cath it and what did you catch it on

thnk

:clap2: About September and caught it on bread. I prefer some other baits to sort out the bigger ones but bass can be a pain. :clap2:

used to live in fareham nr portsmouth

caught mullett to 6.5lb in the mill pond opposite the delme arms pub where the creek meets the river wallington (bread / macky flakes)

also had bass to 9lb on live prawns ( caught in shrimp net along side of said bridge ) when tide pushes back over the lip into the roadbridge.

used to be some lovely flatties there but friends said these have all been netted for pot bait????????

used to live in fareham nr portsmouth

caught mullett to 6.5lb in the mill pond opposite the delme arms pub where the creek meets the river wallington (bread / macky flakes)

also had bass to 9lb on live prawns ( caught in shrimp net along side of said bridge ) when tide pushes back over the lip into the roadbridge.

used to be some lovely flatties there but friends said these have all been netted for pot bait????????

:clap2: There used to be a run of sea trout under the bridge but most of them got netted too. I think the flounders were probaly a bye catch. :schmoll:

KRYSB could you tell me more because ive seen people fishing for mullet in the river wallington near the harbour they were using float?

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

KRYSB could you tell me more because ive seen people fishing for mullet in the river wallington near the harbour they were using float?

the water in the bottom end of the river is only 5--6 ft approx @ top of tide.

floats or freelined baits are the way forward as the fish seem mainly to be on the surface or grazing on the banks

these fish can be followed ( or could be if they are still there) approx 1.5mile up river to approx where sainsburys is on the flood protection walls.

i caugh mostly on the flood and on slack as on the ebb the waters fairly flies out of the river

at low water slack these fish will be seen swimming around in the old mill pool on the other side of the roadbridge

ps some times the bass and mullett go through the smaller corrugated tunnel under tyhe road especially when the water is running hard as it is just out of the main flow.

hope this helps as i have not fished it for years now and do all of my fishing out of whitby on the east coast

good luck

basshead07

forgot to mention you could also try up the hoeford creek which is on the gosport road.

park in pub car park and walk down the side of the creek

1/2 way down is a barge and aconcrete breakwater / crossover with a small gap in th middle.

has been known for some good mulett in there

if you cross the creek you walk down the opposite bank towards the mouth and follow the shoreline round, you can fish off the grass banks which puts you 60m from the main channel, i have had bass to over 8s ther on peeler and flatties to just on 3s

hope this helps, but as i say i have not fished these areas for 5--6 yrs ish

try rovers tackle shop in fareham for up to date info