New Year, New Project.

Mark Crame

Gentlemen. Last night while trying to get to sleep my over-active mind came up with an idea of a project for the new year. Well, someone the other week mentioned about a kayak fishing magazine, which for various reasons would probably be a non-starter, and as I have some experience as an author, I thougth about the possibility of perhaps putting together the first (?) UK kayak fishing book.

As the pioneers of this sport here (well, the first pioneers in centuries I guess) between us we have proved week after week that there is a wealth of material available for a book, and a small readership (which could be expanded internationally) that could, along with the sport, grow over time.

What would make it a good proposal?

1. New sport, and a new way of seeing two existing sports.

2. Boys and their toys.

3. Photographically: fish, landscape, action etc from a different angle to normal.

4. Variety.

5. 'How to'. Rigging, tackle, methods.

The fourth, variety, is interesting in that we all fish varied areas of the uk, and in various ways. From Spanner and his skate-bashing up near the arctic circle to the tope boys down in the west, my pike-bashing on the east coast and the Solent nomads down south we cover, between us, most of the country and most of the species. Imagine that, say, ten of us write a chapter on our speciality, with photographs, and we have a chapter on rigging the different kayaks in different ways, on tackle for codding, piking, toping etc, one on equipment and one on safety and one on the various critters we're likely to meet we could have something which would provide the basics for all would-be yak-anglers in the UK to get a feel for things. There are great trip reports on here so writing quality is not going to be a problem, and we're all au-fait with computers too.

Costing: Well, I can't say my book was comparable (320pp black and white, hardback, photo-quality paper, roughly A4 size) but for 640 copies it cost us around £5k to have printed. Colour was going to be 3 or 4 times the price, so if we looked at maybe 160 pages in colour at hardback, maybe £10k as a budget wouldn't be too far out for that amount. It would be possible, i'm sure, to receive some sponsorship from various companies whose equipment is featured - ie kayaks, finders, lures, rods and reels as it would be beneficial to them to have it on the shelves - or maybe even find someone willing to buy the manuscript from us and publish themselves. Going the self-publishing route (rough idea, split ten ways would be an investment of a grand apiece, probably tax deductible on a tax return as a private individual, definitely if self employed), distribute between us after a launch at a boat show to libraries, tackle shops, watersports shops, bookshops and through ebay (perhaps clickable paypal links on the various UK websites too?).

So. Who's interested? I reckon it would be a goer.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me Mark :thumbs: a conger section perhaps

beast3.jpg:rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Like the idea but being the Yorkshireman how many copies would need to be sold to recover the cost! Dont forget to add in storage and distribution if applicable.

If it is viable I would be well up for it.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Like the idea but being the Yorkshireman how many copies would need to be sold to recover the cost! Dont forget to add in storage and distribution if applicable.

If it is viable I would be well up for it.

Dependant on cost of production and retail price. As an example, say 500 copies at a cost of £5k (£10 each to produce) retailing at £15 nets a profit of £2.5k, we would need to sell 334 to net a £10 profit. Storage - split between the participants - despatch charged at cost. Figures include neither trade discount nor sponsorship input, and are just an off the top of the head estimate. Black and white would be cheaper of course.

I have many friends who are authors, all agree that there's no money in publishing. But we still do it anyway!! It's no harder than typing on the forum, and split between the 'partners' the costs aren't too difficult to bear.

Of course I'm not onto break even on my last book yet - but am due to be in profit by the end of January aparently. A grand for all the work doesn't make commercial sense, but it's gratifying, especially when you get a good review. That was to do with historical aviation, so a limited market, and an expensive book at £25 - and I think, at present, kayak fishing in the uk is more of a limited market. Could we sell 334 copies?

The more pages, the more it costs. The more 'authors' the lower the outlay (individually), but the lower the return - but the more enthusiasm to market it and the less overall work. Also, the more varied text.

So, how many chapters are there people are willing to do?

1. Me and pike.

2. Richi and congers.

2. Darnsarf and ?

Lets get an idea, and I'll get some quotes.

Hi Mark.

I wish you good luck with the project, and all who join in withyou.

May have been tempted to join in myself, but Lorraine and I have a project to get going ourselves this year, so our finances will be going into that.

Having said that.....put me down for a copy when you go to print. :thumbs:

"Good Luck Mate " :clap:

Bill.

Just because you can't invest doesn't mean you can't write for it.....lets do the ground work first and think of the finances second! Hell, i've just bought a second house without selling mine - and I'm a student and freelance photog with 2 kids!!!

125 pages, softback, A5, might be a good taster.

Sounds interesting Mark.

I'd be willing to do an article on trolling for Bass, Pollack and Sea Trout. Would also be willing to do a couple of venue features for Pembrokeshire.

See how it pans out.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I