Choice of fishfinders

Mark Crame

Just had a look at a Garmin 80. Discontinued from my local place so...

I have a choice of the Garmin 90 Portable at £120 or the 140 Portable at £140. these take the AA batteries, and I would be using NiMH rechargeables in it - 2 sets of 8 carried so plenty of time, used for my photography anyway so hang the (business) expense.

Against the Garmin is the Hummingbird Piranha Max 10 at £130.

Fishing will be river, broad and the local sand/shingle sea with ventures into rockier parts. I won't go out when it's rough and won't go out miles.

Now, next question is how/where best to mount the transducer (transom mount). Third question is whether I should save £50 on the portable model and buy a (presumably heavy) battery for £x or not.

Over to the experts please, grateful for all help.

Mark

ps - last question. How can I put a fishfinder through my books as a legitimate expense as a photographer? It's not a tax dodge, it's a wife dodge.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

How can I put a fishfinder through my books as a legitimate expense as a photographer? It's not a tax dodge, it's a wife dodge.

You're branching out into underwater photography and you use a fish finder to locate a mark where your subject species lives.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Your cameras can only handle a certain depth the "Sonar" will save you money by not pushing your cameras beyond their specifications and damaging them. In the medium term this will free up more revenue for "Shopping". :thumbs::D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Fatsimon - It IS a rangefinder!

Speciman - I would then need an expensive housing for the camera (damn, a prowler?) and an air tank for my scuba gear (unused for ages).

Darnsarf - They can't handle a centimetre, the wife aint for fooling, but the account is easier for me to spend from.

Darnsarf - They can't handle a centimetre, the wife aint for fooling, but the account is easier for me to spend from.

Then you obviously need a waterproof camera as well!!

Also need to add a "system support system", that would be the P13 with GPS and VHF.

Didn't you just love "Yes, Prime Minister".

Mark,I think you're better off with a non- portable unit.

The bases on the portables are too bulky and with space a premium on kayaks tend to get in the way.Been there done that :wallbash:

The battery you would need for a fixed set-up would not be too heavy( I use a 7.2ah)

The Transducer, fit inside the hull as just about everybody else has with either Devcon,Araldite or Sikaflex

Fixed unit's are like you say cheaper

I've had both types and can honestly say there is no way I'd go for the portable again :thumbs:

with the wife can't help you --mine just get's told months down the line and it's too late then plus she knows I love my yak more than her :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi Guys, I'm not a Yacker but I float around in a float tube so I hope thats near enough :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get a portable finder, I would get the real deal from the States at less than half price.

I have an Eagle Cuda 168 fitted to the float tube using a Maplin dry acid rechargable battery. Dead easy fix, very little weight and works great. Try these links

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Sub...NDERSNAVIGATION

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo...u=y&doy=2m1

I bought the finder from Bass Pro, delivered in a week and no problems with customs etc. Battery and charger from maplin 12V.2.2Ah is enough for the use I give it

For inspiration on rod holders, sonars etc some of this may help,

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforu....cgi?forum=130;

don't know if it would all apply to a Yak tho :thumbs:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks Sportsman.

Just to go back over old ground. If buying electricals from the states make sure it is E marked and that the full warranty applies here.

The E mark is something to do with european operating frequences being different to US ones and there being no conflict with emergency VHF and other bands. Otherwise you can end up in big dodoos.

Thanks Sportsman.

Just to go back over old ground. If buying electricals from the states make sure it is E marked and that the full warranty applies here.

The E mark is something to do with european operating frequences being different to US ones and there being no conflict with emergency VHF and other bands. Otherwise you can end up in big dodoos.

What sort of dodoos? I can buy and have shipped the Garmin 140 portable for £70 (what would customs impose on it if they collared it?). Thanks for that Sportsman, certainly food for thought though.

I'm still favouring the portable, as the option of adding this and that doesn't work out cheaper, and increases the hassle. Besides, I'll electrocute myself and all the fish.