Crewsaver drysuit collar

kayakkarma

Hi everyone,

Happy New year and great fishing to all of you in 2007!! Sorry to pose another drysuit question but because they are an expensive purchase I feel the need, again sorry. I have narrowed my choice down to the 2 Crewsavers. The hyperdry pro £205 or the Breathable Hyperdry with collar for £265 both from wetsuit outlet. They both seem pretty good suits but the extra £60 for a collar which I actually quite like seems rather excessive. I have a Crewsaver mag and they describe the Hyperdry pro as a low bulk minimalist drysuit for all seasons, whereas the Breathable Hyperdry with collar is full winter protection, what does this mean is the hyperdry pro not as good as the other suit in the winter? :blink: Is the collar a good idea at £60 more?

Cheers,

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Happy New year and great fishing to all of you in 2007!! Sorry to pose another drysuit question but because they are an expensive purchase I feel the need, again sorry. I have narrowed my choice down to the 2 Crewsavers. The hyperdry pro £205 or the Breathable Hyperdry with collar for £265 both from wetsuit outlet. They both seem pretty good suits but the extra £60 for a collar which I actually quite like seems rather excessive. I have a Crewsaver mag and they describe the Hyperdry pro as a low bulk minimalist drysuit for all seasons, whereas the Breathable Hyperdry with collar is full winter protection, what does this mean is the hyperdry pro not as good as the other suit in the winter? :blink: Is the collar a good idea at £60 more?

Cheers,

Paul

hi there i dont know the suit but from what you have written i would read it as Breathable Hyperdry with collar is not as suitable for summer (maybe not as breathable?)

You can wear a scarf or balaclava on the outside - if it gets wet then you have to wring it out.

You don't need a drysuit in the summer - I just wear wading nylon trousers (or shorts) and t shirt for most of the summer and just get a bit wet - if it is windy I go as far as wearing long sleeved shirt - or if it is VERY sunny, together with FACTOR 50.

I don't know what the collar does that you like - but you can put your own round your neck and save the £60. All you are after is a suit which keeps the water out so you can keep your insulating layers dry - a collar will probably make you sweat too much when paddling - on a jetski or RIB, then the wind blast needs to be kept at bay - that is what the collar is more suited to - or ocean sailing.

i wouldn't worry about it.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

:cold: A collar helps protect the latex neck seal from UV exposure and is useful if you want to tuck the bottom of a hood or balaclava neatly away. :cold:

I have a low collar on my drysuit and if buying another suit would buy another one with a collar. The collar on the suit you mentioned maybe higher than the one on mine and may offer some protection for the face as well.

I think Paintfly looked at and may have bought the suit you mentioned after looking at quite a few. Sounds like you are not just paying £60 for a collar but £60 for perhaps a more durable fabric.

I wear my suit all year round even in summer. When out on the water there is almost always a slight breeze and if it clouds over it can get quite chilly if you are at anchor for a while. If you're night fishing it can get cold even in summer.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Paul

I have the std Pro, my brother has the version with the collar. There's loads of differences. Well worth the extra £60.00. The £265.00 version has latex seals and guards on the wrist and ankle cuffs as well. There is also a pocket on the upper body. Both suits are breathable. The £205 model has neoprene seals on the neck and cuffs , these do not seal as good as the latex option but are a bit more comfortable.

Neil.

Edited by Neil

Hi Paul

I bought the hyperdry pro at £ 205 at the end of November. I have been out in Christchurch Harbour in some pretty poor conditions since and have to say so far ten out of ten.

It has not been warm enough yet to test how much moisture it keeps in when paddling for a long spell and so I can not comment on the breathable side of things.

As far as the neck design goes…its quite high and tight but not uncomfortable.

If you want to have a look at it pm me and we can sort something out

Cheers

Kevin

The collar version is the suit I have. Both me and Richi looked at all the dry suits at the Boat Show. I can't remember why but it was the collared version I went for. Just check the specs because a collar was not the reason I chose that suit although it is usefull for keeping the wind at bay. The suit is brilliant and it is very breathable (74% which is the highest in its price range). Highly recommended.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

The collar version is the suit I have. Both me and Richi looked at all the dry suits at the Boat Show. I can't remember why but it was the collared version I went for. Just check the specs because a collar was not the reason I chose that suit although it is usefull for keeping the wind at bay. The suit is brilliant and it is very breathable (74% which is the highest in its price range). Highly recommended.

One has latex seals, the other neoprene. The collars and cuffs are in place to protect the latex from UV damage and flying hooks..... :D

Neil.

That rings a bell. Thanks Neil.

The cheaper suit had latex seals but the better suit had neoprene. Contrary to popular beliefs and a fuzzy video I hate latex :P

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

So you get collar and neoprene, or latex and no collar - but the collar is to protect the latex? I am confused - or have I misread this agin?

Off to the LBS on Friday too - going to check out the fishing section if I don't get too blathered on the hospitality suites - Sealine at 1030 for champers and shellfish.....a good start! Apparently there is a wheelbarrow at my disposal with an advertising girl to drive me around in it!!!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo