Primus Gravity Stove

Polly

Hi All,

Happy New Year to one n all........

A quick question if you please:- I need a new stove and with my birthday just around the corner was looking at getting one of these to replace my "smelly" old Coleman duel fuel. I know they use liquid fuel but how do they work and how does pressure get built up, is there some kind of valve??? Are they worth that much money or is the cheaper gas fuelled jobbie just as good? Any advise appreciated.

Ta in Advance - Phil

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I personally use one of the go-gas stoves and highly recommend it. Mine folds away to next to nothing but you do obviously have an extra gas cylinder to carry, albeit only a little one. My stove is also very low as it has a pipe between bottle and stove, so it can never topple over.

The only downside is that they are a bit slower than colemans, but apart from boiling the kettle I used to find colemans too fierce.

Didn't really answer the main question, but I don't know the model you mention.

Rob.

I personally use one of the go-gas stoves and highly recommend it. Mine folds away to next to nothing but you do obviously have an extra gas cylinder to carry, albeit only a little one. My stove is also very low as it has a pipe between bottle and stove, so it can never topple over.

The only downside is that they are a bit slower than colemans, but apart from boiling the kettle I used to find colemans too fierce.

Didn't really answer the main question, but I don't know the model you mention.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, adds another possible to my list. How economic is it to run cos my colemans DF burner is cheap as chips on unleaded petrol. My main concern is the "whiff", I've tried rubber gloves and all sorts to keep the stench of petrol away but it ALWAYS gets on something and invariably it's my baits!!!!!! I don't mind the smell too much but not sure it Mr Carp enjoys it on his dinner plate to be honest. I also agree about fierosity of colemans DF, they do run a tad warm to say the least and burn y'grub VERY quickly, good on water boiling though, can do a cuppa in under 2 mins!!!!!

Thanks Rob, adds another possible to my list. How economic is it to run cos my colemans DF burner is cheap as chips on unleaded petrol.

I bet it's a damn site cheaper than you spend on bait each session. I recon a gas cannister lasts me about 3 or 4 w/e sessions, obviously depending on how much you use it. In the winter when I drink more tea etc it's probably that long, in summer it's probably even longer.

I too hate the smell of petrol and I don't think it helps your fishing. I always rubbed my hands in the mud and leaves after messing with the coleman. The other thing is gas is almost 100% clean and doesn't fowl colemans on the other hand clog up and get sticky. I've got through at least 3 of them over the years.

Forgot to add, gas costs about 6 quid I think for the larger of the 2 cans.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

I bet it's a damn site cheaper than you spend on bait each session. I recon a gas cannister lasts me about 3 or 4 w/e sessions, obviously depending on how much you use it. In the winter when I drink more tea etc it's probably that long, in summer it's probably even longer.

I too hate the smell of petrol and I don't think it helps your fishing. I always rubbed my hands in the mud and leaves after messing with the coleman. The other thing is gas is almost 100% clean and doesn't fowl colemans on the other hand clog up and get sticky. I've got through at least 3 of them over the years.

Forgot to add, gas costs about 6 quid I think for the larger of the 2 cans.

Rob.

£6 divided by 4 is only £1.50 a session, can't complain at that.

I've done the wet mud and leaves thing, tried rubber gloves and even some special "liquid" rubber glove stuff you rub onto y'hands before even touching the stove. Nothing seems to work, hands still wreek as you sip on y'bovril.......... gas has got to be the way forwrd me thinks.

Hi All,

Happy New Year to one n all........

A quick question if you please:- I need a new stove and with my birthday just around the corner was looking at getting one of these to replace my "smelly" old Coleman duel fuel. I know they use liquid fuel but how do they work and how does pressure get built up, is there some kind of valve??? Are they worth that much money or is the cheaper gas fuelled jobbie just as good? Any advise appreciated.

Ta in Advance - Phil

i use a go gas stove never let me down my mate bought a primus last yr ad nothing but trouble with it go gas cheap as chips u cant go wrong good luck

I would go for a camping gas style stove for fishing every time. Like you say, they are a lot cleaner to use than liquid fuel stoves and less of a faff (you don't have to worry about a bottle of petrol leaking in your bag or having to pump up the pressure on it.) The only advantage liquid fuel stoves have over gas is at high altitude really where the butane gas doesn't burn as well as liquid but I don't imagine thats too much of a problem in most UK fishing scenarios. :P

I would go for a camping gas style stove for fishing every time. Like you say, they are a lot cleaner to use than liquid fuel stoves and less of a faff (you don't have to worry about a bottle of petrol leaking in your bag or having to pump up the pressure on it.) The only advantage liquid fuel stoves have over gas is at high altitude really where the butane gas doesn't burn as well as liquid but I don't imagine thats too much of a problem in most UK fishing scenarios. :P

Got mine Saturday, went for the Primus Gravity GAS and it looks like grat kit. Only tried it on kitchen table but burns really well and so easy to start (elect ignition built in). My only worry is someone said they can be a bit dodgy in cold weather, is this right? Not worried about altitude where I live !!!!!! Cambs is a flat and low as it get I reackon.

cold shouldnt be a problem if its a butane propane mix ,if thats frozen the pond is

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Oh you blokes are forgetting why people use pressure stoves - it's because they're fun!!! You can't beat a good flare up, or boiling your pan dry and melting a hole through the bottom of it can you? B)

If anyone is thinking of a pressure stove, then I can recommend an MSR Dragonfly, I have one for camping and it's great, I've had 100's of trouble free day's use out of it. One thing about pressure stoves - if you use unleaded all the time it rots them, paraffin is much kinder to the stove and burns hotter.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com