hythe shore road report

mikeb

managed a few hours this morning despite the strong nw wind. was going to drift for flounders but because of the wind i moored to a bouy, caught a bass and was going to call it a day when a shore angler pulled in a flattie so tried 1 drift but the wind made it so fast, manged to carch another bass by paddling slowly into the wind but this wasnt ideal so i think i will be buying/making a drogue to clip onto the anchor trolley. its either this or remove the anchor and just leave the chain to slowly drag over the seabed. has anyone tried this or the drogue? did a quick search but there wasnt much, paticularly interested in recommended drogue size! cheers

2007, bass, pout, silver eel

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a drogue at times connected to my anchor trolley via clip and a length of bungee. Works quite well at slowing the kayak down although I have a small drogue and a bigger one may be better. Mine is the pocket one they sell at www.knoydart.co.uk - weighs next to nothing and doesn't take much space when stored.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

thanks speciman, i'll check it out, need to get the drift speed sorted for my plaice attack in march!!

Where do you fish for Plaice in March Mike?

Its a bit early at Poole and Bournemouth,The first ones start to show about mid April at Sea Town The far end of Chessil beach.

zzippy2.gif

Just got my drogue today funnily enough from www.knoydart.co.uk, £12 delivered in 2 days. Good service and a well made drogue :)

Does anyone here rig lee boards/rudders on their kayaks so you can drift cross-wind?

JRT

Simon Everett used one when we fished off the south hams.It definetely helped a lot,I was drifting past the chosen area probably three times faster than he was.

If he doesn't pick up this thread try sending him a pm,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

zzippy, it prob is a little early but should be a few around,its just i've got those 3 weeks off before 6 months away working, no summer for me! if the weather is good i'd like to try around southsea over the mussel beds and maybe hayling way, failing that calshot normally throws up a few

Edited by mikeb

2007, bass, pout, silver eel

A friend of mine uses an empty 4 pint plastic milk container filled with sand, it enables him to do a slow drift ....

Dave

what a good idea, suppose you can add/remove sand to slow yourself down.

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk