Greys Missionary design "fault"

Bass Boy

bassboy, my comments weren't intended to upset you, if you see my initial post on this thread, i made the same mistake with a different rod. as the 'fault' is just a matter of preference i would have been amazed if any company would have done anything for you. you live and learn...........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) MJB has it right, Multiplyers (bait caster) are better with the threads 'up, thats provided there is enough grip to get hold, how many bass rods have you seen with 6" of duplon above the reel. A substancial 12" to 18" would be more like it. I have redesigned a few of my multiplyer rods with this long grip above the reel, makes playing larger fish and big weed balls much more cumfortable.

Posted Image

:D The picture clearly shows two modified rods on the right, the two on the left are my standard comercial Abu Suverans which I equaly approve of, (not bait casters, but the principal is there).

For use with fixed spool, I can see the advantage in the reel seat the other way round. Take look at modern Shimano freshwater float rods, the reel seat is a work of art and study in cumfort.

CJS2

[ 09. September 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: CJS2 ]

Reel Seat thread facing upwards are a pain ... its the only negative aspect of the Abu Suveran boat rods ... when your lifting and spreading line the thread of the reel seat rubs against your inner hand .... contrary the Daiwa TDX series has the thread facing downwards and its much easier to bring in line whilst spreading the line evenly with weight on it …

CJS2

the two on the left are two part Fuji or Weyland reel seats ( 1/carb/215 or 190). Designed to have the counter on the tip and main reel seat on the butt section. If you want a reel seat designed for baitcasters you go for Fuji TCS / PSSLD / or PSI in conjuntion with a plate seat Fuji FSB or NS.

Like it or lump it the Greys seats are back to front, their idea of it being like that to `stop the reel falling off' is a load of corporate `c##p' In fact one of the better bits of corporate c##p I`ve heard in a long time. In fact it`s not corporate c##p its just plain old fashioned c##p.

OK, OK, I dont mind, I aint defending or running down, just thats the way I like it, the Suverans have 7500's with level wind, the two red 7000's also have LW's. For light boat fishing the best for me. No level wind on a reel used on a boat just makes hard work of it, heavy fish, boat rolling and leying the line? The secret of course is looking after the level wind, the two red ones are 10 years old, and as good as day one, 7500's 6 years I supose. Reels are washed every trip, re oiled, at £100 + a go they need looking after.

But I say again ! ! ! I agree, an up facing thread is uncumfortable on a fixed spool setup!

Sorry I got involved, CJS2

[ 09. September 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: CJS2 ]

Just to make the point, On an Uptide rod (boat casting rod) the threads are best up, then they dont dig in your hand whilst controlling the reel in the cast. The same applies to boat rods when drifting, multipliers spool is controlled from behind the reel, very uncomfortable if the threads are "the wrong way round".

Mincing machines need the threads down the rod, so the spinning rod was wrong, my modified Abu uptiders and Suveran boat rods are correct for their purpose.

Posted Image

This action picture clearly demonstrates the need for the thread to be 'up' out of the way, thats a tight grip Steve has on my Abu Ambassador. How do you like the idea of an uptider with a Down the Butt reel and upward facing reel seat. No corporate c**p, pure practicality! They work great!

CJS2

[ 10. September 2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: CJS2 ]

I can agree to disagree, my Daiwa TDXB is far more comfortable reeling in and casting out over my Suveran boat rod ... purely down to personal preference I'd admit though! …

I also have a Suveran uptider …. Give me the cheaper Conolon any day of the week …. I spend most of my time keeping the extending handle from seizing up, as of yet the best thing I’ve found to stop it seizing is the silicon spray that people use for polishing their dashboards. And the action isn’t that sweet either!

A fairly good boat rod maybe somewhat surprisingly is the three piece Abu Conolon travelling boat rod … its very good and has not disconcerting flat spot which is inherent to boat rods comprising of three sections normally.

That piccie looks like they are casting down the butt, or its someone that’s naturally a left-hander casting with his right-hand .... “ curious! “