Typhoon or Crewsaver?

izzetafox

I know it's been asked many times before but.....

I am about to order a dry suit and am split between the Typhoon Racer and the Crewsaver Hyperdry.

I know there is a mixture of both out there in your opinion which comes out tops?

They seem very similar, I will of course go for front zip, does colour have any real benefit?

Does having the neoprene neck and wrist make it comfier or is there a trade off?

There is only £20 difference and I don't want to think a couple of weeks down the road ' I wish I had gone for the Crewsaver.

Thanks

Terry

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

I am about to order a dry suit and am split between the Typhoon Racer and the Crewsaver Hyperdry.

I know there is a mixture of both out there in your opinion which comes out tops?

They seem very similar, I will of course go for front zip, does colour have any real benefit?

Does having the neoprene neck and wrist make it comfier or is there a trade off?

There is only £20 difference and I don't want to think a couple of weeks down the road ' I wish I had gone for the Crewsaver.

Thanks

Terry

Deffo Crewsaver. ;)

Thanks

Terry

If you are looking for a comfy fit around the neck go for the crewsaver.

But if you want 100% water tight then go for the Typhoon Racer.You get used to the Latex round your neck.Plus you can trim it to size.And they are easy and cheap to replace the seals if they break :thumbs:

zzippy2.gif

How many times does the 100% water tight come into it? Is it only total immersion? Would you really notice it for occasional spills?

Is the neoprene rain tight?

To me Neoprene doesnt seem like you get a good seal but I could be wrong.Its best waiting for a reply from someone that uses neoprene.I went for the Latex so I could replace it if it splits.

zzippy2.gif

Seen the whole range at the Southampton Boatshow with Darnsarf and he went for the best which was Crewsaver.I have a Gul Drysuit now that I've had for well over a year but if I was buying one now it would be the Crewsaver Hyperdry :thumbs: I prefer Neoprene seals too--more comfortable--Latex makes the best gimp suit though :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

To me Neoprene doesnt seem like you get a good seal but I could be wrong.Its best waiting for a reply from someone that uses neoprene.I went for the Latex so I could replace it if it splits.

I have the Hyperdry with extra collar and neo seals. Have done getting back on the Yak trials, no leaks that I could detect. Points that I would make: You can't trim the neo seal for size, so your stuck with the size provided, mine seems tight to put on, particularly over the head, but then I'm a 7+ head size, seems tight round the neck initially but comfortable once on.

The Crewsaver suits would appear to have slightly different sizing, I doubt the large size would make the full 6' 3" height quoted, I'm 6' 1" and getting in and out would benefit from slightly more length in the suit. It's fine once on.

Colour, go for the brightest one, as you want to be seen on or in the water, plus there's no reason why you shouldn't look a complete wally as the rest of us do :lol:

gallery_10389_167_457.jpg

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

I have the Hyperdry with extra collar and neo seals. Have done getting back on the Yak trials, no leaks that I could detect. Points that I would make: You can't trim the neo seal for size, so your stuck with the size provided, mine seems tight to put on, particularly over the head, but then I'm a 7+ head size, seems tight round the neck initially but comfortable once on.

The Crewsaver suits would appear to have slightly different sizing, I doubt the large size would make the full 6' 3" height quoted, I'm 6' 1" and getting in and out would benefit from slightly more length in the suit. It's fine once on.

Colour, go for the brightest one, as you want to be seen on or in the water, plus there's no reason why you shouldn't look a complete wally as the rest of us do :lol:

gallery_10389_167_457.jpg

Hi overrun, got my drysuit today, (same as yours). Please dont mention that I need all the other gismo's, that will come. I intend to get down to some serious fishing in 2007!!! :clap2::thumbs:

I got the hyperdry pro. I trimmed my neck seal. All you need is a very sharp pair of scissors or go to your nearest wetsuit maker and get it done with a hot knife. If you got correct bouyancy then the neck seal should only go below waterline for a second or 2 thus making it less important.

Oh and yes it is of upmost importance that you get the right colour too. It's no good getting a black and grey suit if you have a fair complexion as that would just look totally wrong. Try the suit on in front of a full length mirror to check the colour balance and dont forget to get a matching hat, gloves and handbag. Accesories are totally in this year :rolleyes:

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Oh and yes it is of upmost importance that you get the right colour too. It's no good getting a black and grey suit if you have a fair complexion as that would just look totally wrong. Try the suit on in front of a full length mirror to check the colour balance and dont forget to get a matching hat, gloves and handbag. Accesories are totally in this year :rolleyes:

:clap2:

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)