Pike Trace

james17

Whats the best method of making a wire trace?

I have tried twisting, crimping and tying trebles to the wire but would like to know which is the best method. Could be the difference between me landing a 20lber and losing it. Also don't want to leave trebles in a pike's mouth.

Cheers

James

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the brand of wire really, but I think the simplest and most reliable method, and the one I use for bait traces, is to use 30-40lb Fox Carboflex. Carboflex comes with its own crimps and if you buy the excellent Fox crimp tool (about £10) you will be able to make very strong very easy traces very quickly.

Sorry for sounding like a Fox advert, but for once I really think they have a superb system with the carboflex and their crimp tool!

Tim

fox carboflex is inmy opinion a really horrible trace material that i only consider suitable for uptraces when all my other materials are running out! i would reccomend using fox crimps (slimline type) with a reliable wire such drennan soft strand n 24lb etc.

I prefer to use 49 strand wire. This is much more supple than normal 7 strand which gives it quite a few advantages. Firstly it is a lot more kinkproof thus making it safer for the pike. Secondly, it just lasts and lasts making it less expensive in the long run. Thirdly, it means that you can easily knot it as well as crimp it. However, you can't twist it as it comes undone.

In fact, IMO it makes old-fashioned 7 strand totally redundant!

As far as knots go I've found that a simple untucked half blood knot is best. The number of turns depends on the thickness of the wire. I use 4 turns on 15lb, 3 turns on 25lbs and 2 turns on 40lb. It's important to tighten the knot by pulling on the short tag end otherwise you end up with a kink.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i got some titanium traces of a popular auction site and they are fantastic, hardly ever kink and i have total trust in them, never had one let me down yet, however i have only seen these as snap traces and on the down side should you kink one they will snap with very little pressure

There are many differing types of wire suitable for pike traces. Some are only suited for twisting and some are better for being crimped.

I have a preference for crimped based soley on my gut feeling, I don't think theres a lot in it each way as regards strength of knot versus crimp so you have to pick a method that you feel comfortable with

As for testing the wire , I've done a lot of that on various makes of wire , some at 28lb some at 30lb and I tried out some 24lb wire from Italy. The upshot of pulling for a break with a pair of spring balances is that the wire always goes and the crimp remains intact. Wire failure is at or about the stated strength of the manufactures and theres absolutely no way that under fishing conditions you could snap any trace wire when fishing

Pulling for a break with a spring balance is a pretty sure fire way of killing the spring balance! They specifically say not to do that in the instructions when you buy a new one. (Guess how that lesson was learnt?)

Tim