advice please before I buy!

fishfinder

I've finally persuaded my wife to buy me a Kayak! Before I dive in (not literally) I was hoping some of you could give me some sound advice.

Firstly - I want to keep the cost down by buying a second had Yak, but don't know which one to look for. I'm 5ft 10, and about 90kg. I don't want to have to too much DIY to convert it for angling, so I want one of the Angler models - posssibly the Ocean Prowler, but should I go for the 13 or 15ft version? I quite like the look of the Ocean Kayak Drifter 13ft.

Next Question - do I need to buy a full drysuit, or should I go for decent waterproofs?

Next Question - what sort of floatation device should I go for - a full vest?

Last Qusetion - what othe rsafety gear?

can anyone guesstimate the total cost of a decent second hand setup?

I'm surrently serving with the Army in Germany, but it looks like I'm on the move to Aldershot this summer, and I hope to be yaking along the hampshire / Dorset coast.

I've finally persuaded my wife to buy me a Kayak! Before I dive in (not literally) I was hoping some of you could give me some sound advice.

Firstly - I want to keep the cost down by buying a second had Yak, but don't know which one to look for. I'm 5ft 10, and about 90kg. I don't want to have to too much DIY to convert it for angling, so I want one of the Angler models - posssibly the Ocean Prowler, but should I go for the 13 or 15ft version? I quite like the look of the Ocean Kayak Drifter 13ft.

Next Question - do I need to buy a full drysuit, or should I go for decent waterproofs?

Next Question - what sort of floatation device should I go for - a full vest?

Last Qusetion - what othe rsafety gear?

can anyone guesstimate the total cost of a decent second hand setup?

I'm surrently serving with the Army in Germany, but it looks like I'm on the move to Aldershot this summer, and I hope to be yaking along the hampshire / Dorset coast.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

P13 is great, P15 I've never tried, its gonna track better, but it'll be a bit harder to turn, have you got enough room to store it?

Drifter is a bit too wide for its own good, has pronounced hull slap in waves and I bash the sides with the paddle. Depends what Yaks you can find second hand, near your area. It's more important to get a yak you are happy with.

Drysuit seems to be essential for winter paddling, start at £200

I've got the Yak Kallista PFD start at £40

Safety gear...radio n flares n flag!

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

You won't go far wrong with the Prowler 13. Availability is the luck of the draw. They come up on fleabay every now and then.

Clothing depends on when you want to go out. I tend to wear a wetsuit long john in the summer with a windproof over. This is fine when the water and air are fairly warm but I wouldn't do it in winter. Full wetsuit would be reasonable but drysuit seems to be the best option when it's cold. You need to think about the exposure and the likely wind chill if you get wet (from spray as well as falling out.)

A normal kayak bouyancy aid is fine. My basic one with no pockets was about £30.

Flares. Have a look at the forums on the anglersafloat web site. There is a thread on the topic. They have some other general safety stuff as well.

Good luck.

Just bought this pfd from Decathlon £23.95

Lots of room under arms. Front mesh pocket and a velcro pocket, side zipper. It has space in a velcro back pocket for one of those water carriers and velcro for the tube. This could be used for other bits and bobs but remember unless you are two up you won't get to it on the water.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Product_arbo...8968/index.html

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

I got the Prowler 15 because there were no 13's available. It's excellent and I love it to bits. I haven't tried any others but it does everything I want without a problem. Bit long for storage though.

I bought a Fladen PFD. It was around £35 and had the pockets I wanted. Seems ok, is comfortable.

i don't have a drysuit and I'm too fat for my wetsuit. I fish inshore mostly and use a mustad bib and brace and some Chota Mukluks. I'm warm and dry. If I go to sea it's when it's flat calm and I staty close in. Summer I go out in swimming costume and t-shirt - but it's not sound advice. Sound advice is to know your limitations, and that I extend to my clothing.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

The only advice I would suggest is trying as many as you can before you buy!

It comes down to personally preference IMO

Yes the prowler 13 seems to be the best all-rounder but it is not as stable as the ocean drifter!

I bought the drifter to begin with and it is an awesome kayak IMO as it is very stable and very comfy but for paddling the longer distances it is slow.

I have now bought a prowler 13 as it is a better all rounder but if I had the choice I would keep the drifter too.

If I was to upgrade I would get a dorado or a pelican.

If you were nearer I would suggest trying both of my kayaks.

hope this helps your decision

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Hi Fishfinder.

Have a good read of this link, its full of very usefull info that may help you with your decisions choosing a kayak and your clothing / safety gear.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

The Prowler 13 and 15 are both good Kayaks, owned and paddled both of them.

Your choice of kayak boils down to basicly cost/storage/transportation/portage/ and of course what type of fishing you intend to do, offshore/inshore/or both.

Dont skimp on your P.F.D. buy a reasonable quality one.

Could ramble on here, explore the link have a good read, and take your time with your choices.

Bill. :thumbs: