12-20lb class boat rods.

Scotty T

I'm looking to buy myself a boat rod in the 12-20lb class, or there abouts. Anybody got any recomendations??? Don't really want to break the bank due to the fact I don't go boat fishing very often. I was also looking at the possibility of buying a blank, but they seem a bit thin on the ground in the uk, anyone know of a supplier?

Cheers

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Scotty,

I just got a Shimano (sp) 15-25lb class, it's the Calcutta H, Steve Starling sig. It is listed at £70 but I got it for £30 from Mikes in Portobello, near Edinburgh.

They had 2 left last week.

Haven't tried it yet but it has a noce light tip but a good strong middle and butt. It's 6'6" one piece.

Hope that helps.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Agree with Alderneybassman, the ABU's on offer at Torbay angling / The Sportsman are pretty much unbeatable value for money at the moment. I think the UglyStik 1480 model is widely believed to be the best boat rod in it's line class. The Abu suveran 12-20 is also excellent, but twice the price. With regard to blanks, the NorthWestern 12lb class carbon job is excellent.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Thanks for the response fellas,

Alderneybassman thats a great price for the premium having done a bit of research, shame they don't have a website,

Jabee would be interested to see how much those blanks are going for, same with the Notrhwestern Toerag.

Many Thanks

Scotty

• 3 weeks later...

I bought myself an Abu Viper as suggested by MainBassMan, I ended up going for the 20/30lb as the rod is 7'9'' and it felt right for the lenght. She'll be christened on May 1st when I have my next trip booked from Poole, can't wait.

Scotty

The Abu Suveran is simply the Bees-Knees, expensive yes, but compared with any other rod I have used, it leaves them standing. Me' mat uses Uglystics, and loves them, but they are the early ones, I would not despute his faith in them. However the lastest Uglies do not seem to posses the same action as those old originals, Steve had to buy a S/H one to make a pair.

Slowly all the anglers in my marina are getting Suverans, usualy the misses buys them as B/day or Xmas presents. I have 2x12lb and 1x20lb, waiting for them to come on offer under £100, then I will buy a second 20lb.got the other three this way.

The 12lb'der is a great bass rod on the drift, works well as a light uptider. The 20lb rod is the perfect all rounder for me, (we dont do much perking on the east coast).

Just my humble opinion, worth saving for!!!

CJS2