17'+ river float rod recommendations

JonJ

any recommendations/information? I've tried googling for info and can't even find out what I'm looking for: rod weights and recommendation line strengths.

TIA

A friend of mine got one of these a couple of weeks ago...

Preston Innovations - Sentient 17ft Float

The 17' Sentient is a 'must have' rod for river anglers who want the ultimate float control. The extra length makes accurate line control easy and the soft tip and through action middle section really come into their own when bonus fish are hooked on light lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RRP: £289.00

Our Price: £229.00

Save: £60

I don't know if it's allowed to say where he got it from but it was from Fosters of Birmingham. I've had a look at it feels quite light. Another good one was the prodigy greys 14 to 15 ft and that was much cheaper.

Unless the Sentient is a vast improvement on my Preston's Carbonactive 15/17' then I would say don't bother and go for a quality 15' instead. At 17' the Carbonactive is far too heavy to use effectively.

Paul

I have a Daiwa Harrier Z which I find quite confortable to fish with all day when balanced with my Purist. It's rated for lines up to 6lb as well.

A very good rod.

Dave

Another possibility might be the MAP Ultra II. There's someone on ebay selling them at the moment and from looking at the completed listings they seem to go for £70-£80. I've got one of these rods and, although I have held it all day long, it certainly doesn't feel as comfortable as a 13ft rod. This could just be the nature of a 17ft rod (I've not used another 17 footer so can't really offer a comparison) but having said that I do believe the the Ultra IIs are fairly highly regarded.

I bought a Shakespeare 13/17 foot combi rod last year. Used it all season in preference to a couple of other rods. Thoroughly excellent bit of gear and when one of the sections failed the size twelve clumsy foot stand on test it was fairly cheap and easy to get replaced.

Unless the Sentient is a vast improvement on my Preston's Carbonactive 15/17' then I would say don't bother and go for a quality 15' instead. At 17' the Carbonactive is far too heavy to use effectively.

Hmm. That's probably good advice. I'm now considering the Drennan DRX Ultralight Waggler MKII or the Drennan floatmaster combo float rod. But once again I cannot find a site that tells me how heavy these rods are...Anyone know?

Thanks

On the continent you can buy 'Bolognese' rods. Maybe they have a different name in the uk? These are telescopic and are around 5 to 8 metres in length. I think they're designed for deep rivers but can be used for lake or even sea fishing. I don't really know much about them but they seem quite intriguing. They're supposed to be light but I guess you get what you pay for.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.