Why do it?

RUDD

As my trusty 12 year old 4010gtm reel now seems unfixable (by either shimano or various reel doctors) I am intent on replacing it with a quality reel.

I belive in the principle of you get what you pay for in terms of quality, design and workmanship so I will be buying a towards the top end reel that should last me as long as the last one.

The new shimano aspire 4000ra has caught my eye.

I saw a tiny article in a mates copy of ATA and went on shimano's website (the article had the same wording as the website, the mag cannot review the reel as they do not have one to review - read on!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The reel looks like its the one for me as it will be used for feeder, floater and heavy float/stalking work.

So I had a GOOGLE to find the best price.

I found four shops with adverts for the reel and the best quote I have had is for 110 quid with a fiver postage on top. The reel will have an RRP of 140.00 and I say WILL with baited breath.

You see none of the shops HAVE the reel?

I rang a contact at Shimano with a few technical questions and asked about availibility - I was informed they do not even have them in their Shimano Europe Netherlands warehouse as they are still "On the water" (IE in a container on its way from the far east). They hope to have them there by the end of the month and in the uk early to mid February.

With me so far?

How can a shop advertise what they do not have and know they will not have for some time?

It gets better.

Another very well known northwest angling shop has now started advertising the reel so I rang for a quote knowing they cannot possibly have one in stock.

The owner of the shop said " I can sell you one today and today only as a special for 125.00 including postage".

What you can send one today, you have them in stock I enquired?

The owner says "Yes I have ONE in my hand, its the only one I have in stock and I received it today with some other stock from shimano".

Oh really - shimano told me they are not in the country yet?

I was abruptly cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had I parted with my card number I kow the t0sser would have taken the cash then next week given me some cock and bull story and continued to do so until he gets the reel in stock. I know January is a bad month for retailers but trying a con!!!

The same thing happened to me the other year with a JRC stealth brolly plus, that time every tom dick and harry tried to flog me somthing they did not have.

In the end I made such fuss that a well known Essex shop sent me a stealth brolley (I had ordered the plus) then made me deal with JRC direct to swop it for the right one.

JRC sent me the first one out of the container (or so they claimed -marks on carton = ctn 46 out of 200 (I work in shipping fools)) a few weeks later!!!!!!!

I do still have both as they forgot to collect the normal model despite the fact that I rang and told both themselves and their courier (probably cheaper to let me keep it!!!).

I dont known if the practice of selling or advertising something you do not have is illegal but it is certainlly immoral and only agitates anglers like myself into not using certain shops on the net or advertising in rags and mags.

rant over - goodnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

PS : THERE ARE NONE FOR SALE ON EBAY - always a good indicator!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Just hope they werent on that cargo ship thats sinking off the devon coast. They reckon its gonna take a year to unload it.

That vessel was on its way to the Canaries then down along the west african coast to South africa.

Her indoors works for MSC two office down the road

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

How can a shop advertise what they do not have and know they will not have for some time?

I dont known if the practice of selling or advertising something you do not have is illegal but it is certainlly immoral and only agitates anglers like myself into not using certain shops on the net or advertising in rags and mags.

rant over - goodnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

I have had the same problem with the internet site tackleshop.co.uk. I ordered over £100 worth of tackle which was all advertised on the site with no mention of it being out of stock on the 28th December. I recieved £40 worth of tackle out of £140 and an email 3 days later told me they would have the rest to me shortly. Of course nearly a month later and numerous e-mails and phone calls none of it has apperared. This has resulted in me missing several planned sessions for lack of essential equiptment (landing net and unhooking mat)

A lot of internet traders do it. It saves having stock sitting on the shelf. They wait until it's ordered and paid for before they buy it in. Nice position to be in, if you can get away with it <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I had a well know mail order company do this to me too. I ordered about £500 worth of kit, mostly made up of rods but lots of other bits and pieces too. I asked a direct question of the person on the end of the phone "is all of this in stock ready to be delivered" to which the answer was yes. Great i thought, should get it for the weekend. 2 days later delivery arrived minus all the rods and quite a few other bits.

Phoned the company back up to be told they didn't have any but were on order and would be sent out when they came in, with no guarantees on when this would be. I canceled the remaining order and told them i would never use there company again. I was really quite annoyed about it as i was told they were in stock no problems. I buy a lot of kit (just can't help myself) and this company will never get any of my business again.

I now order most stuff through my local tackle shop, it may take a few weeks to get it from the suppliers sometimes, but at least i know where i stand with delivery and customer service.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

This thread is very interesting, and should be good reading for the lads that were on a previous thread asking why Tackle shop prices were slightly higher than internet shops.

The obvious answer was given about rent and staff costs, but this just shows that actually seeing who your buyin off and speaking to a human face to face, may well be the better option!

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"