Great chieftain o' the puddin'-race

Vagabond

vaga you didnt buy the stuff off the chip van did ya ? chippie haggis is terrible, because its deep fried there is no taste of haggis from it what so ever.

I would guess that depends on the chippie - all I can say is that when we used to visit Ullapool in the 60s the haggis was superb. Haven't seen it anywhere else since.

I saw somewhere that the Scottish snooker player John Higgins gave his favourite dish as "Steak Balmoral" - steak with haggis. Anyone else tried that?

As I said earlier we sometimes have it with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (a good Anglo-Scottish union that!) it occurs to me that a Franco-Scottish combination might be equally good - anyone for haggis cassoulet ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love haggis, but my true favourite is white pudding suppers from the chippy.

Not sure if they are available everywhere (never found a chippie on the west coast that did them), but on the east coast of Scotland most chippers do them. mmmmm

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I am a great lover of white pudding as well, not the Scottish variety, but the Tyneside one which was made from cooked barley and offal, usually flavoured with Sage.

It is hard to obtain these days; I have managed to get a version from the Grainger market, but that is mainly Barley meal not whole Barley and I have had better. There is a pork butcher on Shields Road that is reputed to do a fair version, but if any of our North east correspondents no of a better source could you let me know?

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I am a great lover of white pudding as well, not the Scottish variety, but the Tyneside one

The Ullapool travelling chippy referred to earlier, in addition to haggis, used to offer black, red, and white puddings, as well as polony.

I remember approaching the van one night, and being resigned to a long wait, as what appeared to be an entire N.W.Highlands shinty team (plus reserves) was assembled in front of the van. But no - "Awa' up froont wi' ye mon" one of them said, "wee'rre a' waitin' on rred puddens"

Tried all the puddings over the course of several evenings, but haggis and black pudding beat the rest hollow.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The Ullapool travelling chippy referred to earlier, in addition to haggis, used to offer black, red, and white puddings, as well as polony.

I remember approaching the van one night, and being resigned to a long wait, as what appeared to be an entire N.W.Highlands shinty team (plus reserves) was assembled in front of the van. But no - "Awa' up froont wi' ye mon" one of them said, "wee'rre a' waitin' on rred puddens"

Tried all the puddings over the course of several evenings, but haggis and black pudding beat the rest hollow.

i love all the puddins except fruit puddin :yucky: i mean i can eat one but after that its just aw fruity, wid rether a black puddin wea tottie scone n square sausage an a bit a broon sauce.

were did fruit puddin come fae cause am sure its no scottish, theres nae blood in it

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I would guess that depends on the chippie - all I can say is that when we used to visit Ullapool in the 60s the haggis was superb. Haven't seen it anywhere else since.

I saw somewhere that the Scottish snooker player John Higgins gave his favourite dish as "Steak Balmoral" - steak with haggis. Anyone else tried that?

As I said earlier we sometimes have it with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (a good Anglo-Scottish union that!) it occurs to me that a Franco-Scottish combination might be equally good - anyone for haggis cassoulet ?

The French do eat black and white pudding believe it or not. They are sold as 'boudin blanc' and 'boudoin noir'. I like both of them. French white pudding is a lot better that mealy puddin' stuff the Eastie Beastie Scots eat. I love cassoulet with doit de savoie in it.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Dave, I had my Haggis,Neeps and Tatties on Monday ....superb they were too, I dont have them with anything fancy at all, just the traditional way !!!!

BUT, As has been talked about, I only eat Wild Haggis !!!!, None of that farmed rubbish !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Theres a chippy in Dunfermline, that sells Spicy Haggis, its our first stop ,after coming off Loch Fitty.....its gorgeous, but after an hour or so, make sure you have some Rennies, the heartburn is terrible !!!! :D :D :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

The French do eat black and white pudding believe it or not. They are sold as 'boudin blanc' and 'boudoin noir'. I like both of them. French white pudding is a lot better that mealy puddin' stuff the Eastie Beastie Scots eat. I love cassoulet with doit de savoie in it.

Got to say I am not a fan of 'boudin blanc' too bland for my liking, but the 'boudoin noir' is superb I am also a big fan of Morcilla (con arroz or cebolla), Spanish black pudding it is excellent in a stew or in an arroz (rice), dish.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Got to say I am not a fan of 'boudin blanc' too bland for my liking, but the 'boudoin noir' is superb I am also a big fan of Morcilla (con arroz or cebolla), Spanish black pudding it is excellent in a stew or in an arroz (rice), dish.

Tony

I tend to agree, boudin blanc can be a bit of a non-event, it depends a lot on where it comes from. Another French sausage I love is "Andouille de Vire'. This is made from the stomach and the large and small intestine of a pig. These are then smoked and the result is delicious, and also very expensive. I am also love a good saucisson sec, whch is like a salami, and another favourite that I discovered skiing one winter is "saucisson d'âne". This is another salami type sausage, but not made from donkey meat rather than pork.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote