Lundy....lunacy....laughable... or maybe even possible?

Moonyaker

After reading the attached links and being somewhat bored I started thinking about whether it might be feasible to paddle to Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel in a sit on top kayak.

Here's Lundy....

X900Y600S500W700H400.gif

and details of a group of Sea Kayakers trip to the island....

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/v...pic.php?t=14162

and some guidance on how to make the trip....

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/lundy...uring_guide.htm

I doubt that this would be much of a fishing trip as I think that the fishing is restricted around the island and I think that you might be a little knackered by the time you got there but as an adventure might be worthy of further thought (unless confined to the 'complete madness category' that is).

Anyway.........it's a bit quiet on this channel at the moment and please forgive me my thoughts whilst I suck and puff on my metaphorical pipe and peer into the smoke haze that envelopes me....

'

So what do you think? Mmmmmadness' or 'Mmmaybe possible'?

Edited by Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the attached links and being somewhat bored I started thinking about whether it might be feasible to paddle to Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel in a sit on top kayak.

Here's Lundy....

X900Y600S500W700H400.gif

and details of a group of Sea Kayakers trip to the island....

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/v...pic.php?t=14162

and some guidance on how to make the trip....

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/lundy...uring_guide.htm

I doubt that this would be much of a fishing trip as I think that the fishing is restricted around the island and I think that you might be a little knackered by the time you got there but as an adventure might be worthy of further thought (unless confined to the 'complete madness category' that is).

Anyway.........it's a bit quiet on this channel at the moment and please forgive me my thoughts whilst I suck and puff on my metaphorical pipe and peer into the smoke haze that envelopes me....

'

So what do you think? Mmmmmadness' or 'Mmmaybe possible'?

Round trip looks about 34 miles ish. So distance isnt a problem for a fit paddler. Will depend on tides and the ability to abort at Lundy if it goes pearshaped. Probably a job for a Dorado (Scupper at a push) though.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Paul.

As I recall the Sea Kayakers split at Lundy with a few going straight back and the others staying overnight and taking The Ferry back the following day. I think that some of those who had stayed overnight were intent on paddling back the following day but the weather turned and they ended up taking the ferry. I was thinking along the lines of overnighting on Lundy and either paddling back or taking the ferry depending upon weather conditions.

Do you think that on this basis P13's would be capable of the trip or would this be a Kaskazi cum Scupper Pro only affair?

Jules

KAYAKS:

A lot will depend on the paddler. The P13s will certainly be able to do the overnighter and some will be able to do the round trip. Is there a Pub on Lundy? :P:D

A lot will depend on the paddler. The P13s will certainly be able to do the overnighter and some will be able to do the round trip. Is there a Pub on Lundy? :P:D

Yep, and they apparently even have their own beer.

Just remembered that Ilfracombe is now a popular Porgie Port so perhaps it might be possible to pick a couple up on the way for the barbie......

KAYAKS:

Yep, and they apparently even have their own beer.

Just remembered that Ilfracombe is now a popular Porgie Port so perhaps it might be possible to pick a couple up on the way for the barbie......

If we can get the locals to lay a chum trail from the Lundy jetty we might be able to get a Porgie tow.

Seriously, I think a lot would depend on the tides. As I have no knowledge I will bow out to the welsh boys. Over to you. :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

The trip sounds feasible. The Scupper would probably do it but I think I'd feel more comfortable if it had a rudder. I've found it hard work keeping the Scupper on course when there is a strong cross wind and on a trip like that there is a good chance the wind will pick up (as experienced by the paddlers in that report).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

A handheld VHF may not be powerful enough to reach the mainland or Lundy mid trip - would have to look into that. I've seen a few pics of kayaks rigged with small waterproof fixed units - probably the way to go.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The trip sounds feasible. The Scupper would probably do it but I think I'd feel more comfortable if it had a rudder. I've found it hard work keeping the Scupper on course when there is a strong cross wind and on a trip like that there is a good chance the wind will pick up (as experienced by the paddlers in that report).

Hi Simon,

Yes, that does seem like very sound thinking; we do seem to waste a load of energy by not having rudders and becoming exhausted part way between the mainland and Lundy wouldn't be good (at all).

Moonyaker

KAYAKS: