Lundy....lunacy....laughable... or maybe even possible?

Moonyaker

Looks a tidy setup clansman, any more pics of your rig?

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wecome Clansman.

Great rig. I can see the Tart on Google as we speak.

Great to see you are the newest member of SPOC. (ScupperPro Owners Club)

Ssshhh or they will all be wanting one. :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi GB & Darnsarf

Unfortunately haven’t got many photos of the set up on my P13 seem to take all my photos from the driving seat so have pretty much only got the pointy bit at the front. The best I can find at the moment is this one.

PICT0232.jpg

Will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find any thing better. Its was taken after a 23.5

Mile trip down the Mersey ( New Brighton to Warrington ) last December. As for the Scupper Pro haven’t got one yet but will be getting on in the spring for longer fishing trips will keep the P13 for the shorter trips as it’s a great yak and can not bring to part with it.

Spud

Hi all

I've done the trip to Lundy (see above post link to UKRiversGuideBook).

Its a serious undertaking and a long 20NM ferry glide aiming to Wales but ending up at Lundy (going sideways), if you paddle directly for Lundy you will miss it by a few miles and the tide will take you down towards Ireland. Also between Lundy and Devon is a shipping channel - the tankers are huge and fast and don't stop.

I'd be more than happy to give advice if anyone feels they need it chas couchman at hotmail dot com (no gaps).

Have fun.

Hi all

I've done the trip to Lundy (see above post link to UKRiversGuideBook).

Its a serious undertaking and a long 20NM ferry glide aiming to Wales but ending up at Lundy (going sideways), if you paddle directly for Lundy you will miss it by a few miles and the tide will take you down towards Ireland. Also between Lundy and Devon is a shipping channel - the tankers are huge and fast and don't stop.

I'd be more than happy to give advice if anyone feels they need it chas couchman at hotmail dot com (no gaps).

Have fun.

Hi Chas,

I think that if we decide to make the trip your experience would be invaluable and therefore thanks for your kind offer.

As I recall you undertook your trip on a Spring Tide in May; did you chose to go on a Spring or was it that other conditions or time dicated this? With the presence of the Shipping Channel, I guess the trip would be a 'no go' if there were any likelihood of fog. With the exception of the tide races to north and south of Lundy, is the trip very lumpy anywhere else on route?

Was it really heavy going and do you think that it is a sensible prospect with sleek sit on tops?

The campsite only accommodates 40 as I understand it, is that difficult to arrange or could you suddenly decide on a friday afternoon that the conditions looked as though they would be OK and confirm your Saturday Night Pitch then?

What sort of arrangements did you have with the Coastguard?

This is not meant to be 'The Spanish Inquisition' and I apologise if it appears that way...it just looked like a potentially fun challenge and I am interested in how you undertook it !

Regards

Jules

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

As I recall you undertook your trip on a Spring Tide in May; did you chose to go on a Spring or was it that other conditions or time dicated this? With the presence of the Shipping Channel, I guess the trip would be a 'no go' if there were any likelihood of fog. With the exception of the tide races to north and south of Lundy, is the trip very lumpy anywhere else on route?

We chose spring due to all of us being on holiday and the tide being suitable time - we would not have gone in fog.

We got the tides just wrong, we left about 1 to 1.5 hrs after high tide and had pretty big tide race and very lumpy sea as we went round the corner when we left Lee (not sure of name - need to check map).

You don't see the races around Lundy whilst paddling - at least you aim not to meet up with them. You land on the East side in a huge eddy (flat water).

Was it really heavy going and do you think that it is a sensible prospect with sleek sit on tops?

I'm not an SOT paddler so its very difficult to comment on sensibility, there's plenty on knowledge on this site for you to decide if a 20 mile paddle is suitable. We were a group of experienced regular paddlers - some were also White Water Paddlers - and we all found it very tiring.

The campsite only accommodates 40 as I understand it, is that difficult to arrange or could you suddenly decide on a friday afternoon that the conditions looked as though they would be OK and confirm your Saturday Night Pitch then?

We booked weeks in advance and paid the deposit - around £10 each, not sure how late you can leave it but the resident Warden will advise. BTW there were only about 15 campers and the field is big enough for 100.

What sort of arrangements did you have with the Coastguard?

We radio'd through as we left and told them how long we'd be, then again on arrival, they were not too concerned.

This is not meant to be 'The Spanish Inquisition' and I apologise if it appears that way...it just looked like a potentially fun challenge and I am interested in how you undertook it !?

No problem I'm more than happy to share my experience.

BTW the ferry does not operate on Sunday's - its usually a private hire - so travelling back by ferry on Sunday can be hit and miss as they will not exceed the maximum passenger numbers - we were lucky (some never turned up so we has space).

Chas

Cheers Chas, ta for that; I think that you have probably answered the biggie with that response.

Jules

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)