Borth Report

nifty

Met up with Martin this morning at 07-30 and headed down to Aberystwyth to get some bait when the shop opened at 9 before driving the few miles up to Borth.

It was just past H/W when we pulled up on the front and straight away we saw some decent swells building 30yds or so out and landing in a heap on the steep top end of the beach. One thing I've learned in the last couple of years( with a bit of advice from Simon E) is to be patient and wait for a lull before attempting to launch to save the inevitable soaking :headhurt:

After getting rigged up we were ready to go by just after 10 am and As I stood and watched the sea I noticed a long break so shot out quick leaving Martin to lock his motor and get prepared.

We both got out without any drama and headed half a mile out to the area that Niko and I had fished quite successfully the week before Christmas and chucked the picks over.

I was into fish almost immediately though they were pretty small and the second Doggy I had must have been a contender for the smallest ever. I was using a shrimp rig chopped down to two hooks with another snood attached to the lead swivel link about 18inches long and all baited with Mackerel strip or Sandeel segments.

By midday we were both catching well, Whiting, Dogs and Dab, and there was a positive warmth in the sun which was making for a glorious day to be afloat and reminding me anyway that Spring is only just a few weeks away and the better fishing to come hopefully.

About half one I shouted over to Martin that I fancied a change and thought we might try a mile or so further up the coast but close to the back of the surfline with a hope for a Turbot, so after a twenty minute paddle we were ensconsed in our new spot in just 10 ft of water and with a switch of rigs we were away. I fished a two hook flowing rig with slightly bigger fish strip baits than before and although the bites were fewer, the size of fish increased marginally with one Whiting of table size (just) and even a couple of Flounder to add to the species list.

We stuck it out at this second spot till about 4 pm before deciding to call it a day and paddle back to the cars. All the while we were fishing at the second mark, being quite close to the shore, and with the depth dropping to just 7ft there had been some good swells rolling under the yaks and tugging at the anchors, and with the chance of a dumping on the way back, we made fast all the gear. Luckily we got in without mishap at the more shelterd southern end of the beach, and over a cup of tepid tea watched the sun set on a fine day. :thumbs:

The launch spot,

Image000-5.jpg

Martin paddling out after I'd left him on the beach :rolleyes:

Image001-3.jpg

My biggest flattie of the day,

Image007-2.jpg

I've got to get myself a decent camera because most of the pics I've taken today are S"&T though looking at the state of the lens on my camera phone it's not surprising :angry:

Stu :)

Edited by nifty

Glad you managed to get out :thumbs:

I'm coming to Turbot land! :clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great stuff Nifty, very enjoyable report, looks similar conditions to down here. Never ceases to amaze me just how well these Yaks handle the swells, mostly I can't bear to watch so anchor with my back to the sea :lol:

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

p1010022.jpg

you can just see niftys dab!!

we'll have to arrange a trip Richie whilst your up here :thumbs: Sure Stu will be up for it and theres a spare bed if you need it!!

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

Hi Stu,Martin

Wish i could have joined you, unfortunately i've been laid up in bed ill for a few days :wallbash:

maybe we can fix something up in the not to distant future :thumbs:

ATB

Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

I will be up for a trip in the near future :thumbs:

I have also been ill with a bug :schmoll:

Had to decline a nice paddle with GB as I still dont feel 100%

Turbot :rolleyes: a new species to add to my list!

Apparantely they catch them in Pendine, just over from me but I have never had them there :(

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Nice Pics and report lads :thumbs:

I wish there was a plaice near us down on the south coast where we can catch a good number of Dabs.We do get a few late Autumn but thats about it.Its one of my Fav fish to eat

zzippy2.gif

Its one of my Fav fish to eat

I agree, very tasty :thumbs:

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Stu

I've accidentally caught turbot from the sandbanks at the mouth of the Dyfi estuary a couple of years ago while deep spinning for bass. It occurred to me then that they could be caught by design by drifting over the banks with sandeel or mackerel strip. Just be careful of the currents - I only went out at low tide slack water.

Geoff