Bass in Guernsey

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how many bass did they ever get that far North? Isn't it too cold water up that way?

I Have been told by many on here who know all there is to know about fishery management, that water temperature has nothing what so ever to do with it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

A couple of facts for those that don't know - there is a finite Guernsey market for fish & crab, a lot is exported to the continent in much the same way that there's a finite market in the Shetlands for mackerel and cod so most is exported elsewhere. Consequently Guernsey prices paid for fish are low, so any boat landing large quantities lands directly to france, which in the case of Guernsey is about 2-6 boats depending on species and time of year. The 2 boats involved land the vast majority of their catches in Cherbourg (they belong to the Cherbourg fishermen's co-op) - in winter it's bass and bream caught pelagic pair trawling, in summer it's rays & flats caught singletrawling on the banks.

What i can't get me head around is the anti welcome feeling put out by some of the Guernsey guys to the jersey guys, the uk commercial and certainly the mainland rsa who like to spend thier money in the islands, when all of the fish you have just mentioned is sold off to the french markets where your locals do not get to see any of the benifits or the fish. Why are you making a big issue out of it? I could understand the protection issue if the fish were kept for local benifits. So in winter in theory it's two Cherbourg based boats that have precedence over every one else. Am i still missing something?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry, the two boats Toerag mentions landing in Cherbourg are the Guernsey pair team, not French vessels.

I personally have no problem with visiting RSA in fact I ant more of them. I am not keen on more commercial vessels though as I personally beleive our waters are already pressured and my beleif is that they will collapse should licenses be issued to more big boats like the Jersey and UK fleet.

The people against the RSA are commercials. It is still very much them and us and the commercials here truly beleive that they are the only ones who should be allowed to catch the fish.

This is not so much about protection of species as protection of Salaries of some. Look at the double standards where it's OK for them to catch more than RSA lands in years in 2 hours trawling but they still want RSA limited.

I Have been told by many on here who know all there is to know about fishery management, that water temperature has nothing what so ever to do with it.

OK, fair enough, so just leave the first question, what was the bass stock like say 15 year ago? Has it collapsed or was it never there?

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

OK, fair enough, so just leave the first question, what was the bass stock like say 15 year ago? Has it collapsed or was it never there?

I know people have doubts about just how much effect on cod water temperature has, but I don't think I've ever seen or heard any arguments that water temperature doesn't affect bass. I'd say that water temperature has everything to do with where you find bass.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Barry, the two boats Toerag mentions landing in Cherbourg are the Guernsey pair team, not French vessels.

I personally have no problem with visiting RSA in fact I ant more of them. I am not keen on more commercial vessels though as I personally beleive our waters are already pressured and my beleif is that they will collapse should licenses be issued to more big boats like the Jersey and UK fleet.

The people against the RSA are commercials. It is still very much them and us and the commercials here truly beleive that they are the only ones who should be allowed to catch the fish.

This is not so much about protection of species as protection of Salaries of some. Look at the double standards where it's OK for them to catch more than RSA lands in years in 2 hours trawling but they still want RSA limited.

High fishing Guernsey, thanks for the above, the pressure that would have come from the uk has been relieved hasn't it with the boats from brixham being decommisiond? It's all very well issuing or not issuing licences but surley it is down to the sfc to contol the stocks by quota? I thought the main argument with commercial was, licences would be issued to the jersey commercial etc, but they are saying that they have an historic right in any event?Again if you remember the commercial posted very good catches last year just after the sfc issued the consultation to restrict the rsa, that i can't forget, sorry but it is an emotive issue where they say something negitive and within days it is dissproved. I like the way you put protection of salaries, my interpretation is the protection of a massive profit for a very few over everyone else including the locals. I can't wait for mr whittall to come back from his hols so i can book me slot for this year to come over and rape the fish stock again. I did let some go honest.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hello FishingGuernsey

Thats a very good point, you could say exactly the same for SW and SE coast cod, if you go back 50 years there were none.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello FishingGuernsey

Thats a very good point, you could say exactly the same for SW and SE coast cod, if you go back 50 years there were none.

Hi Wurzel there was definatly some on the varne, don't know about fifty years ago though as i was still in me pram. (might still be in it).

High fishing Guernsey, thanks for the above, the pressure that would have come from the uk has been relieved hasn't it with the boats from brixham being decommisiond? It's all very well issuing or not issuing licences but surley it is down to the sfc to contol the stocks by quota? I thought the main argument with commercial was, licences would be issued to the jersey commercial etc, but they are saying that they have an historic right in any event?Again if you remember the commercial posted very good catches last year just after the sfc issued the consultation to restrict the rsa, that i can't forget, sorry but it is an emotive issue where they say something negitive and within days it is dissproved. I like the way you put protection of salaries, my interpretation is the protection of a massive profit for a very few over everyone else including the locals. I can't wait for mr whittall to come back from his hols so i can book me slot for this year to come over and rape the fish stock again. I did let some go honest.

I'm not sure it matters which boats get licenses because if any second pair team comes along and wants to catch a lot of fish, they will do just that, OK it's hit and miss and some have failed but they were not experieced in pair work. The local team seems to do very well for itself and they catch well in the winter months before going seperate ways in the summer when the fish aren't shoaling up.

The issue with more vessels and decreased landing limits would be a double whammy on the local boats, they would claim hardship and start to claim benefit etc etc. The view is that there is barely a balance as it is between fish and commercial capture, more capture could just push it over the edge and then we have a problem which can't be solved for many many years while stocks recover. Result, they are all out of work as they used all of their resources.

I would welcome any ruling to stop fishing for spawning fish. As was said on another site, rabbits have a close season for breeding, is a large future stock of young rabbit worth more than bass to Guernsey economy?? Like hell it is.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society