kayak Fishing in South Africa

Mark Crame

Well, I'm likely to be flying over to Kwazulu-Natal in June/July for a fortnights game fishing and fancy doing a day on a yak while i'm there, after sharks/tuna/yellowtail or whatever. Now, I don't really fancy taking my yak with me on the aircraft for obvious reasons so am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that rents them out? I'll be based at Shelly beach, between Port Shepstone and Margate and around 150 KM's south of Durban. An idea of avalability and prices would be very handy - or at least a contact there.

Cheers,

Mark

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hi Mark,

Try Don Stander (based in Durbs but fishes whole of KZN & Moz). www.fishingski.co.za or +27722074798. If he doesn't have a spare, then he should know someone who does.

Alternatively, Brett Challenor, www.stealthpp.co.za, or +27313126612.

Drop me a pm when you have some dates, maybe we can meet up for a cold one. I am based in Cape Town, but should be up there if the sardine run is on.

Cheers,

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Nice one Fin! Am planning on the first couple of weeks in June which MIGHT be about right for the run - depends on dates suitable that side. Will be fishing with Denise as much as possible. A beer sounds great - although if I can remind myself what Hunters Gold tastes like I'll be happy!

I'm not sure, but I am starting to get the feeling a cousin-in-law might have had a ski and might still have it.

Yeah, it will be good Bill. Been ten years since I last went over. Brilliant place - that's me in the background in the early '90's:

12.jpg

Fishing with Sensational: http://www.sensationalfishing.co.za/

Edited by Mark Crame

Hey Tim,

I was going to suggest the Stealth guys too! Funny skis but they will get Mark out beyond the surf to drop a sardine on a hook!

No news of our Egypt trip yet - working on it though. Keep me posted about the False Bay tuna and yellowtails - got to come out and see the workshop and Kaskazi guys at some stage. Perhaps we will get that yellow fella from the Dorado this time - Arthur will lend me one if you'll give me a ride out to the deeps!

See ya.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I thought about getting taken out and dropped on Protea Reef in a yak/ski and having a crack, but then I figured two things could happen:

Option 1. I get gobbled up by one of the big sharks I have seen on the reef.

Option 2. I get big trebles wired onto the yak/ski and trolled as bait to (see option 1).

Might be later in the year now...dependant on a contract I'm 'fishing' for...

Well, I'm likely to be flying over to Kwazulu-Natal in June/July for a fortnights game fishing and fancy doing a day on a yak while i'm there...
Do you have some kind of death wish?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Do you have some kind of death wish?

No, just a distinct lack of common sense. The first real live shark I saw ever in the wild was just off Pumula. it was a Tiger. Around 18ft long. I jumped to the other side of the boat when it broke the surface. Saw others approaching that size, but never one larger. Did have a dip in the sea minutes before a 6ft tiger was brought up on one occasion too.I personally would NOT dive on Protea though, no matter what. I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid.

No, just a distinct lack of common sense. The first real live shark I saw ever in the wild was just off Pumula. it was a Tiger. Around 18ft long. I jumped to the other side of the boat when it broke the surface. Saw others approaching that size, but never one larger. Did have a dip in the sea minutes before a 6ft tiger was brought up on one occasion too.I personally would NOT dive on Protea though, no matter what. I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid.
I had just read this before I saw your post ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote