Fish MLS information

roryh

Anyone know where i can find a definitive list of MLS information for UK coastal waters?

Tourist season is nearly upon us again and i was wondering if maybe someone (such as SACN Leon?) could produce a basic aide memoire of this information for distribution through the tackle shops.

Yesyesyesyes i know most of em dont know a mackerel from a sperm whale but any hints might help!

Any opinions?

Edited by roryh

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

The EU sets the Minimum Landing Size for most species, which can differ by EU Region.

(Some species do not have an EU mls).

Generally the UK mls is the same as the EU size limits and is given here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/conserve/...umfishsizes.pdf

However the UK does have the right to set mls higher for it's own vessels, and within the 12 mile higher than the EU limit, and DEFRA intends to increase the bass mls in England to 40cm from April 6. Wales to 37.5cm within 6 miles and Scotland remains at 36cm. (It's no good claiming that fish were caught outside of the area, because the regulations also apply to fish being transported through the area).

SFCs can also set higher legal mls in their district out to 6 miles, so it's best to check with the local SFC to see if byelaws with a higher mls applies in the district in which you are fishing.

Few (if any) of the mls are set with regard to maturity, and mostly are set with convienience of mesh size regulations etc in mind.

So the NFSA and many clubs set their own suggested higher mls, which has no force in law, but may be a condition of membership that members stick to those sizes when fishing.

The NFSA mls are given at:

http://www.nfsa.org.uk/teamcomp/comp_fest/...ck/minsizes.htm

Of course some of the sizes change, so it's best to check now and again to see what is current.

(I've got a handy credit size aide memoire produced by Dover Angling Club)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The EU sets the Minimum Landing Size for most species, which can differ by EU Region.

(Some species do not have an EU mls).

Generally the UK mls is the same as the EU size limits and is given here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/conserve/...umfishsizes.pdf

However the UK does have the right to set mls higher for it's own vessels, and within the 12 mile higher than the EU limit, and DEFRA intends to increase the bass mls in England to 40cm from April 6. Wales to 37.5cm within 6 miles and Scotland remains at 36cm. (It's no good claiming that fish were caught outside of the area, because the regulations also apply to fish being transported through the area).

SFCs can also set higher legal mls in their district out to 6 miles, so it's best to check with the local SFC to see if byelaws with a higher mls applies in the district in which you are fishing.

Few (if any) of the mls are set with regard to maturity, and mostly are set with convienience of mesh size regulations etc in mind.

So the NFSA and many clubs set their own suggested higher mls, which has no force in law, but may be a condition of membership that members stick to those sizes when fishing.

The NFSA mls are given at:

http://www.nfsa.org.uk/teamcomp/comp_fest/...ck/minsizes.htm

Of course some of the sizes change, so it's best to check now and again to see what is current.

(I've got a handy credit size aide memoire produced by Dover Angling Club)

Thanks Leon handy links, what i am looking for as well is some way of getting information through to the tourists as well, do you fancy posting a scan of the Dover clubs aide memoir, maybe i can sort a print out and stick a few copies round the pier

Thanks Leon handy links, what i am looking for as well is some way of getting information through to the tourists as well, do you fancy posting a scan of the Dover clubs aide memoir, maybe i can sort a print out and stick a few copies round the pier

Might be worth asking Dover AC if they can spare a few, or maybe sell some.

Other clubs might like to think about doing something themselves, I'm sure that Dover would help out with contacts and ideas of costs etc.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/385646162_0457f44dc5.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/385646163_5dfba3d424.jpg

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Responsible anglers should consider setting their own 'slot' limits.

Taking nothing smaller than fish that have spawned at least once.

And bearing in mind that veteran spawners produce not only more spawn, but the fry seem to have a far greater survival rate than early spawners (also bearing in mind that species that suffer excessive mortality at small sizes seem to change genetically to never grow big, and to spawn earlier).

So as well as a minimum size above the first spawning age, any large specimens should also be put back, they too are important to the future health of the fishery (and anyway they aren't usually as tasty as the mid-sized fish).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Cheers guys

Will see what i can sort out and stick round the pier (as long as the harbour master agrees) otherwise will ask if the tackle shops will display/ offer copies.

Responsible anglers should consider setting their own 'slot' limits.

Taking nothing smaller than fish that have spawned at least once.

And bearing in mind that veteran spawners produce not only more spawn, but the fry seem to have a far greater survival rate than early spawners (also bearing in mind that species that suffer excessive mortality at small sizes seem to change genetically to never grow big, and to spawn earlier).

So as well as a minimum size above the first spawning age, any large specimens should also be put back, they too are important to the future health of the fishery.

Agreed Leon

Although it seems like common sense too many people take all sizes, even those too small to eat are taken 'for the garden' it does yer head in!