tench

dapper64

On Tuesday I was fishing about 3 feet from the bank on my local canal, I was catching a few roach. Mid -afternoon, my float shot under, and my pole elastic was stretched to the limit. After a fairly long and hairy fight, during which I nearly lost it in some fallen tree branches, the net went under a tench approaching 4lb. He (it was a male) had plenty of maggots and hemp down his throat, and had obviously been feeding in earnest. I never expected tench to be active at this time of year, and it was a total suprise. Bonus! Mind you, I wouldn't specifically target them at this time of year - I reckon it would be extremely hit and miss. If you want one at this time of year, it's probably best to adopt a general approach and if you get one it's a bonus.

We recently had a club match in january that was moved from the usual river venue due to flooding and was fished in two backwaters.

One section was one with good roach bags but the other surprised us all by being one with about 50lbs of tench with some good back up weights of tench.

I do however think this is river tench. The stillwater ones take a bit longer to wake up.

john

I had three within an hour recently on a local stillwater, on red maggot size 18 hook, together with roach and perch a good mixed swim.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Saw two caught last sunday from a stillwater that had been frozen all week.

All winter (if we can call it that) the odd one has shown and I caught one in a winter league match.

I would not target them this time of year but like most species they will have a munch during mild spells.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've caught them on carp tactics at night with the temperature hovering around freezing.

I don't accept it's too cold to catch tench.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest Brumagem Phil

Interesting thread!

I've never caught a tench, its the one coarse species which just seems to elude me for some reason, but this thread has got me interested!

I have a permit for one pool but the area the tench hang outis out of bounds, so what I'm tempted to do is have a sneaky evening fish when nobody is about in the 'appropriate' tench areas!

There is a closed season in force so I guess I need to get my fishing in soonish for fear of missing out (I always respect the close season).

A couple of questions......

1. Does pre baiting an area help attract tench the way it does carp?

2. Is evening/ into darkness still a good time to catch tench?

3. I'm a tight git so not into spending lots of money on maggots and casters, so will hemp and sweetcorn work as baits......also, will tench take a 'fishy' groundbait/hookbait?

Thanks in advance :-)

Interesting thread!

I've never caught a tench, its the one coarse species which just seems to elude me for some reason, but this thread has got me interested!

I have a permit for one pool but the area the tench hang outis out of bounds, so what I'm tempted to do is have a sneaky evening fish when nobody is about in the 'appropriate' tench areas!

There is a closed season in force so I guess I need to get my fishing in soonish for fear of missing out (I always respect the close season).

A couple of questions......

1. Does pre baiting an area help attract tench the way it does carp?

2. Is evening/ into darkness still a good time to catch tench?

3. I'm a tight git so not into spending lots of money on maggots and casters, so will hemp and sweetcorn work as baits......also, will tench take a 'fishy' groundbait/hookbait?

Thanks in advance :-)

I would say pre-baiting does work - A Korda DVD shows tench moving into a swim well ahead of the carp (this was the one filmed on Horseshoe Lake).

I'd say that dawn is the prime time for catching tench - in summer, first light and just before has always been my prime time. (It also helps that I can get out to fish more easily inthe early morning than in the evenings).

Sweetcorn and hemp freebies with sweetcorn or bread hookbaits have always worked for me. Preferably critically balanced, with mainline hard on the floor. Or alternatively, if the public are about the water feeding ducks, floatfished bread is a great method - and cheap enough to meet your criteria.

Enjoy!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine