A pub regular

John S

This is a photo of a skull (as if you couldn't tell :rolleyes: ) in one of my regular pubs. She's called Freda, and was found in a tunnel inside the building during restoration work in the 1930's after a small fire damaged part of the interior. She was apparently about 60 years old when she was murdered, but it is not known why she was killed. There are marks on the skull (which include the missing teeth) that show she was hit three times with a blunt instrument, one of which broke her neck....

post-40-1171496237_thumb.jpg

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John the boozers sound fairly rough in your neck of the woods. No prisoners taken then. Sounds like my kind of bar :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Maybe it's the remains of Hannah who flew off and left her cats at the Stag Inn in Hastings:

"Here you will find the grisly spectacle of the 'Mummified Cats'. These creatures once accompanied a Hastings witch known as Hannah Clarke. Riding on her broomstick, she provided an unconventional form of aerial surveillance for the town, giving valuable advance warnings of many assaults. The cats kept the Old Town free of rats - a delicacy that Hannah enjoyed. The Hearth Tax of 1622 brought her spellbound reign to an end when collectors took Hannah's broomstick from a ledge in the chimney where she and her cats liked to sleep. Hannah left Hastings in search of a new broomstick and never returned. Her cats remained here and during the Great Plague of 1665, they were bricked into the fireplace on the ledge where she used to sleep"

see the link below for details:

http://www.thestag.org/

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Nice one Tony :thumbs:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Looks like a nice little pub that, Tony :)

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Yes Tony it looks like a good boozer mate. Just one thing where is the dartboard. This is the thing which will give the fifth star. If no dartboard sorry it only gets ****

Is it one of your locals Tony?

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ziggy :)

She went off to the local Uni a couple of weeks ago for DNA testing, they were hoping to get a better idea on when she was killed but it's reckoned to be about 200-300 years ago. I'm going in there on Tuesday, hopefully I'll find out more then :)

Btw, the pub is reputed to be haunted as well - the landlord has seen glasses flying off a shelf above the main bar and hit the wall a few feet behind it, and several people have reported seeing someone out of the corner of their eye but when they've turned to look there was no-one there....

There's a charity all night sit-in in a few months time that I'm hoping to go on, should be good for a laugh. There's a minimum amount of sponsorship required so I'm going to be pestering friends and drinking-chums at my usual pub.

John S

Hello Ziggy :)

She went off to the local Uni a couple of weeks ago for DNA testing, they were hoping to get a better idea on when she was killed but it's reckoned to be about 200-300 years ago. I'm going in there on Tuesday, hopefully I'll find out more then :)

Btw, the pub is reputed to be haunted as well - the landlord has seen glasses flying off a shelf above the main bar and hit the wall a few feet behind it, and several people have reported seeing someone out of the corner of their eye but when they've turned to look there was no-one there....

There's a charity all night sit-in in a few months time that I'm hoping to go on, should be good for a laugh. There's a minimum amount of sponsorship required so I'm going to be pestering friends and drinking-chums at my usual pub.

Wotcha John :)

facinating stuff, i was wondering if she had been killed elswhere & then her skull concealed for ritual protection of the building.

People used to think that bad spirits would take the form of birds & be able to enter houses through openings like chimneys etc, so these, and any dark unused places would be protected, either with symbolic magic, like carvings or drawings, or with personal items, always used or broken. Voids between walls have been found stuffed full of items.

I think i posted this a while back, but heres a pic of a childs shoe found in an old chappel, above the doorway.

shoefossil007.jpg

still got the mud on it

Last year, i built a small pitched roof over our patio doors, just before i sealed it up, willow drew me a cat on a piece of lead & we put it in the dark space, cant be too carefull, esp with people like chesters around ;)

Ziggy

Re above is that a likely explanation of Hannah's cats in Hastings?

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.