Tie hook by hand

wanzelbin

Tie your own hooks, even if you have to do it at home. Get a matchman hooktyer and learn how to use it.

My beloved, 15 year old matchman broke about a year ago, and after struggling to get used to a drennan, I gave up and have been tieing (tying?) by hand since.

Rather bored at work I was pleased to come across the Hooks to Nylon topic, and thought I'd draw my way of hand-tieing a hook and see what others think of it!

hooktie.gif

I think it's pretty much the way a matchman works, but even though I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes practising with my old broken tier, some thread and a pin, I can't really work out whether it's doing the same thing!

The knot seems ok in use - I've not lost any fish - but if I'm snagged up, it's usually this knot that appears to be the breaking point.

Be interesting to hear how others tie their hooks, and please excuse my rather shaky mouse drawing skills.

D

correct me if im wrong but shouldt the line go through the eye of this particular knot, i did find a hook a long time ago almost imbedded in my arse cheeck with this knot but through the eye :unsure:

Edit: eye of the hook, dont get any funny ideas

Edited by Andy_1984

The only problem I have with the Matchman tyer is that the line which is pulled through the knot is the line you are fishing with, sometimes it kinks and has to be tied again, sometimes it looks OK but for me there is always that suspicion that all might not be well.

Tied by hand they can be done so that the line pulled through is the tag end which is then trimmed off.(It may be the Domhof Knot)

Having said all that I gave up using spade ends for big fish a long time a go and only use that knot now for tying hair rigs onto hooks.

I use a hook tyer for small spade end hooks, as it is so much easier. I just take my time and try and be as carefull as possible. If I think it does not look right or am in any doubt, then I tie it again.

As for the picture of the hook and knot, just use the no knot for eyed hooks, so easy.

Paul

i did find a hook a long time ago almost imbedded in my arse cheeck with this knot but through the eye...

Well I hope it wasn't one of mine Andy :unsure:

As for the picture of the hook and knot, just use the no knot for eyed hooks, so easy.

What's a no knot? Had a look on google, but all I got was some scary stuff about kites.

A long, long time ago someone told me not to use the eye on a hook, just treat it like a spade. Can't say I know if it makes a difference because I've always done what they said!

your knot looks similar to the knotless knot.

i only use two types of knot the knotless knot for hook(when hair riging) and the palmer knot for swivels or for my hook. only came across plamer knot when someone mentioned it on here and its brilliant as it can be used for anything. has to be my favourite knot and simple aswell.

84854438.png