Central Heating Problem.

Ferg

maybe but if your gas heater had a liner in the chimney can the log burner use it (interested myself)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Ferret1959
What boiler you getting Ferret? I need one too!

Dunno Dan, it's a freebie off the council so most likely a cheapo one.

Chesters has a point about the electric fire and power cuts.

I will insist they fit a gas one........................bet they don't. :(

Dave, Hiya mate...Up till last week, I delivered all those freebie central heating systems..supplied by the Wolseley group to British Gas..they certainly aint cheapos mate.. .Potterton Combi Boilers, mainly this one....

http://www.potterton.co.uk/products/produc...=1096&cat=1

worth ( so the boss told me) around £1200 a piece...and Stelrad radiators....the best in the business ...so I am reliably informed....mainly this style of rad....

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/600mm...e_Radiator.html

From what i've been told, you dont get cheapo boilers anymore, they are all top spec stuff.....:):) Hope thats true for you mate !!!! :):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Ferg, you did right isolating the radiator, but there seems to be a lack of water pressure in your combi boiler system, thats why the circulating pump sounds if it is running full belt and also the pressure drop will also stop the water inlet valve from opening to ignite the gas for your hot water. Open the door on the boiler, there should be a little dial with a red pointer and a black pointer, if the pressure has dropped the red pointer will be at zero or there abouts, so the system will need pressurising back up to 1.5 bar, underneath and next to the boiler should a little black plasic handle tap connected to the boiler by a stainless steel flexi pipe, open this a quarter of a turn and watch the dial creep up to 1.5 bar, then turn that little tap off, that should have re pressurised the system, but you may have to go round all the raditors and bleed them to release any air thats trapped, and that will drop the pressure again, so you will have to go over the above I mentioned, again.

If you dont fancy doing what Ive suggested or not fully understand what to do, get the plumber in and dont try to repair the radiator, get a new one fitted.

Im a retired plumber/heating engineer, so I know what the problem is which is basically what Ive mentioned above, any other problems as regards gas valves etc on the system would be too difficult to explain over the forum or phone, and besides, when gas is involved you need a qualified corgi registered plumber/heating engineer to correct or repair any problems with your combi boiler.

Hope you get it sorted ok...John (hoppy) ;)

Edited by hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Chesters has a point about the electric fire and power cuts.

I will insist they fit a gas one........................bet they don't. :(

if your council is like ours not only will they remove the fire but will remove the gas pipe to it so you cant put one in ,they tried with me but i resisted the fire went (it was a ghastly old back boiler thing but it worked) but the pipe remained ,they were NOT happy but their fitter was almost kicked out when it was revealed what they were up to.

i now have to ask permission to install a gas fire ,but i suspect it would be refused just so some poxy council worker thinks he won ,but then i would probably just fit one and balls to the council ,i would rather be in trouble than freeze and denying heat to a disabled person would bring media attention! so i would "win" anyway (two fingered emicon here).

the pompous council official said install a electric one but remained silent when i asked where i plugged it in ,the sockets are on the opposite side of the room !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hoppy

Thanks for the advice. It turns out I don't know my combi from my ordinary boiler. Its a good job the plumber is coming back tonight to fit a new radiator. Hopefully this will sort out all the problems.

Regards

Ferg :cold::cold::cold:

Edited by Ferg

If its not a combi type boiler, it must be an indirect heating system (cold water head tank, copper cylinder, and seperate gas boiler) your head tank in the loft or in the cupboard that fills the system where the domestic hot water cylinder is, which fills the system up, the head tank could be empty, meaning the ballvalve has stuck and not filling the sytem up. hope you get it fixed tonight...hoppy

Edited by hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Guest Ferret1959
if your council is like ours not only will they remove the fire but will remove the gas pipe to it so you cant put one in ,they tried with me but i resisted the fire went (it was a ghastly old back boiler thing but it worked) but the pipe remained ,they were NOT happy but their fitter was almost kicked out when it was revealed what they were up to.

i now have to ask permission to install a gas fire ,but i suspect it would be refused just so some poxy council worker thinks he won ,but then i would probably just fit one and balls to the council ,i would rather be in trouble than freeze and denying heat to a disabled person would bring media attention! so i would "win" anyway (two fingered emicon here).

the pompous council official said install a electric one but remained silent when i asked where i plugged it in ,the sockets are on the opposite side of the room !

Well they took mine and refuse to fit a gas fire.

I explained how would a disabled person living in sheltered accomadation keep warn in a power cut.

Power cuts only last a max of 4 hours so you will be ok, was the answer.

I asked why I couldn't have a gas fire and it's cos the government want us to cut back on the gas we burn???

I said I would still be using electric with the new fire so where's the saving?????????

Your new c/heating is more efficiant and you won't need both on they say.

I got fed up talking to a muppet who has all the answers but knew fork all about what he was talking about!!!!!!!!!

But I will say I'm nice and toastie at the mo, even got hot water at mains pressure instead of a poxy dribble. :D

Glow worm boiler, not sure of rads.

Oh and another thing, it's so quiet................no eruptions. :lol: :lol:

maybe but if your gas heater had a liner in the chimney can the log burner use it (interested myself)

If its that cheap thin fexible liner I doubt it, woodburners use those insulated stainless steel liners nowadays, but boy are they efficent. My chimney is a precast one designed for an open fire (the gas fire was one of those coal effect jobbies that looked nice, used phenominal amounts of gas, and gave out not very much heat!) Hence the wood burner idea. I am expecting to have to have it lined but its a straight run up.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com