rods for stalking

fantasticfisherman

I'm not a carp angler, so this is based on other species and a good dollop of commonsense.

Stalking by its nature means mostly pushing through bankside cover, some of it so dense that there's only room for a rod tip. It also means that you'll have little room to maneouvre once you have a fish on and you'll have little possibility of playing a fish out into open water....once hooked it'll heading back into cover. That means a short strong rod and much heavier line than 8lb bs. I'd think in terms of a 9 foot long purpose built stalking rod...Greys make an excellent 9 footer (and 7 footer) about 2.5lb TC, plus 15lb mono or 30lb braid. You'll need all of that to muscle fish out of the snags that they'll run you into once hooked.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

thanks argyll i suppose that know i've read your post what i will be doing isnt nesserally(probably spelt that wrong)stalking. what i'll be doing is fishing in the margins where carp are cruising and feeding, next to bushes and not in overgrowth etc where i will obviously have to be quiet and i won't be carp fishing in the sense of 2.5 t.c rods and baitrunners, but i will take what you have said into account

[ 04. September 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: fantasticfisherman ]

A normal 13ft float rod doing what you intend is probably not the right tool for the job. A better option for the type of fishing you are intending is something like an all through action rod sometimes called an Avon rod. Test curve 1.5 or 1.75lbs will handle 8lb line with comfort without stressing the rod and will be a much better balanced outfit to use.

I have a pair of Wychwood 1.75lb barbel rods that are ideal for this job being an all through rod and plenty of power to handle and turn fish.

Don't be confused about the barbel label on the rods as they are ideal for what you want as well as being great for big bream and eel fishing. Will aslo double up as pike rods if pushed.

Avon type rods are sometimes referred to as general purpose rods such is their versatility,many other manufacturers make such actioned rods so it may be worth your while having a look around

cheap lure rods are good for stalking, leeda rimspins for example,long as its not too light a casting rating and has a throught action it should be ok,go heavy on teh line,carp really bolt off when hooked close in,no lower than 12lb.

avon rods are kool too as brian has said,but some are a bit l.ong,not easy to get in them tight swims with.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I used to use an ordinary match rod for prety much what you describe with no problems at all. It was one of the first generation of carbon rods and a bit rough and ready but I never did manage to break it despite putting some most alarming bends in the thing with 8lb line and fish in the lilies.

Yes I lost a few fish because the rod wasn't stiff enough to control then quickly enough to stop them ploughing into the weeds but I also landed plenty of fish to just shy of 20lb.

If the rod isn't to precious, give it a go and if you find that you can't hold the fish you're hooking, go out and buy a more powerfull tool.

2 Hours !

You need to get a bend in the rod and put some pressure on. A 2 hour fight isn't good for the fish and you could have spent the time catching more.

[ 04. September 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

you're right a 2 hour fight is too long a fight to have but in the end we had no option but to intercept the fish with the net even after that amount of time. it still ended up headbutting me as i went to pick it up TBH i was too scared to put any more pressure on in case i ripped the hook out, i probably would have thrown myself in the lake if that had happened. i now know how to fish for them as not very many come out of that lake in a day and having a couple of trips there i've learnt alot and hopefully i can beat my pb again with all the right gear. im going again in a week or two