Soft Plastics Article Draft #2

Newt

I'd ask the woman to let me try the rod for myself if I didn't value my life. :D :D

:D:D

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interested to hear this topic digress into a discussion on avon rods for soft plastic, very amusing and quite absurd, my favourite sort of English humour. If someone doesn't have a suitable rod, which I doubt , they could always pick up a very cheap shakespeare 6-7ft spinning rod for £20 and have a go. It costs more to import all the frogs, lizards, craws and jig heads alone.

I have caught trout, perch, pike, chub and sea bass fishing texas style and drop shotted american worms and grubs. As well as pike on Australian squidgie shads, there is one particular shad that is as near as I have come to finding the 'ultimate lure' and rarely fails to inspire attention.

All were caught on a 6ft telescopic spinning rod/reel combo and 14lb braid purchased while on holiday in NZ for $NZ40!

It would be fun to see someone attempting it with an avon rod for comedy value although they would probably be better picking up a kiddies outfit for a tenner.

Very interesting article Newt, Its also interesting to see what rods other folk are using for their lure fishing.

Personally, I used for some time a shakespeare ugly stick 6'6" which has a soft action, this is really nice for small rapalas where every little twitch is passed into the rod tip.

I also have a stiffer longer 9' rod which copes with pike up to double figures but I could never really feel comfortable with plastics. So I have bought a 7'6" lure rod which is somewhat in the middle of the other two, and its designed for a multiplier, so I am about to embark on some plastic worm lobbing(?) sessions.

Thanks for the tips on how to rig and fish the worm I have a collection of weird and wonderful plastics which my grandfather bought and used in Canada many of which look identical to those in your pics. I was considering how to rig with weights and have some egg sinkers (drilled bullets to you) so your advice is timely.

If I may make one small criticism to your write ups... you use the term 'limber' to describe the rod action, which was a little odd to me, I am happier with the terms 'soft' 'through' or 'tip' action.

You touch on the use of scents, do you add any flavours to your plastics, if so how? have you ever used WD40?

Best wishes to your good lady I hope she is soon recovered from the recent tests.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Welcome to the forum, oneftonshore, nice to see that you have a sense of humour. Good to see another angler denigrate the poor old, traditional English workhorse, the trusty 'avon'! Seems that we just have to have the right rod for the job, and nothing else can possibly do!

Snotty - thanks for the comment on 'soft' vs 'limber'. Another of those subtle language differences that would otherwise have bitten me.

Scents - yes, absolutely. Normally I put a drop or three in the palm of my hand and wipe it on the lure with a repeat after each time I have to handle the lure. I'm more concerned with covering traces of my smell than anything else since I need the fish to hold on to the lure for an extra second if possible.

WD-40 - not used it for this. Aside from any safety concerns it would not be particularly good for the soft plastic material. If you don't have easy access to purpose made scents, use peanut oil with a small amount of some scent added. A bottle will last just this side of forever so maybe ordering one from BassPro or Cabelas would be well worth the money.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the welcome, its not that I am anti avon! Just that you could use almost anything else but and it would probably work better. I was making the point that the rod I have is probably not perfect, just a cheapo telespin and a little soggy but its short length and low cost means this doesn't matter too much as well as being a hell of a lot of fun to land 8lb pike with. On a similar theme I am currently using a beaten up old carp rod to plug for bass. Not a tackle snob at all its just a case of not turning some poor sod off completely when he attempts to 'finesse' an unweighted senko with 13ft of glass.

Hi oneftonshore. Let me add a welcome.

Part of the strangness here is an attempt to explore non-traditional ways to fish soft plastics for anglers who have never tried them and don't want to buy even a cheap tool until they find out if they enjoy fishing the lures.

My preference is certainly for shorter and somewhat purpose made rods but then lure angling is a mainstay of my angling and I have quite a bit (way too much, in fact) of specialized tackle to use.

I think it would be very interesting to hear from someone who was familiar with fishing soft plastics and who was willing to try using them with an avon style rod. It could be a total disaster or it could be one of those things that sounds strange but turns out to work well.

A final note to all who have read and especially those who offered suggestions: We are picking up a very active 10 y/o grandson tomorrow for a week's visit but after we return him to his home to Georgia, I plan to do a new set of photos, make some last changes to the article, and post the semi-finished product for one more round of critiques.

The ones so far have been invaluable and without them the article probably could not have been well received by most UK anglers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

In that case I would probably advise trying with the shortest fast action rod they currently have. Also would say you should state for the sake of the pike that if there is any question at all of them being present whether they are being targeted or not that a wire leader must be used.

• 1 month later...

Fascinating topic and I thought I'd throw in my two bobs worth.

Here in Oz soft plastics have really taken off. Last five years has seen every man and his dog off chasing every known fish that inhabits these mostly humid waters with gobs of smelly plastic. Done wonders for the tackle trade.

Generally speaking, for fish in the 1 to 3 kg range, rods are not much longer than 7'6". The mainstay of the industry is bream fishing (average half kilo) and I would say 95% of anglers choose a rod around 6'6".

I am different. I prefer the long wands and use rods around 8/9 ft, not too limber....sorry....soft....and they work a treat. No probs at all with setting the hook.

What I am really interested in and no one seems to have mentioned it, is the use of centrepins. In my quest for elegance and simplicity I am thinking of trying out centrepins on the long rods with the SP's.

Anyone tried it?

:)

Pins & long rods with soft plastic lures?

Probably too non-traditional for UK anglers so that any who think it would be fun won't admit it in public.

:D :D