Bimini twist knot on braid?

KennyC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What ( I think )I'm really trying to get my head around is it really neccessary to do a bimini knot in the braid or would a simpler 'loop' type knot suffice?

I struggle to do a decent bimini at the best of times but trying to teach a total novice is a bit frustrating

Thanks for that offer Davy, but the way things are going - it looks like the simple solution is to hire the gear

I must admit, I find some of the 'tourist' charters a bit too 'Noddy. Basically the deck hand.. baits up, drops the line out and strikes the fish - you are then handed a rod/reel to wind in - and that's yer lot - picture taken - fish sold on by the skipper !!

"What ( I think )I'm really trying to get my head around is it really neccessary to do a bimini knot in the braid or would a simpler 'loop' type knot suffice?"

No and yes in that order :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

KennyC:

Trying to sort a mate out with a reel for a tuna Maderia trip - don't have anything that big for straight mono though!.

Nearly convincing to him invest in a Shimano Tiagra :) ( which I 'might' borrow :) )

:cool:

What boat is he using in Maderia, Our Mary supplies all the gear. The Tiagra is a great reel but there are cheaper ones on the market that will do the job equally as well for less £££. :D

got a needle holder mounted with a skin stitch ready mate

put your finger here X

:D

[ 21. February 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: tack4 ]

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Davy, a bimini is only less efficient if tied with the usual thirty odd turns. A 70 turn bimini will give about 90% knot strength and I find it a damn sight easier to make a bimini in braid than in mono.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hiya,

Ahh but the Bimini was created through the need for a knot that gave maximum breaking strain, it manages to do this because of its construction, even when the knot is finished the mono is not damaged. Even when it is subjected to load this stays the same.

On the other hand braid is not affected like mono when it’s crushed in a knot so, providing you use a suitable knot i.e. the surgeons Knot you get the same results with a lot less hassle :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"