Help with float rod please

Vas

Hi, im looking for decent float rod my budget is around £30-70

Im looking for something that is soft enough to absorb fish lunges but also wont give me any problems when casting heavy floats like wagler floats loaded stick floats and sliders. Using it mainly on rivers for roach, perch etc but something capable of landing decent size tench, bream and possibly carp from still waters

I was hoping for something universal all-round rod,

any ideas ? thanks

I use an Avanti travel float rod and its been superb for everything I do with it. I was considering one of their newer models:

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/avanti-rdx-advance-rod-range-768624?colcode=76862403

which would give a you a bit of flexibility with length and handling etc whilst keeping things compact. you do get what you pay for in the end; but ive never had cause to complain about my Avanti rod.

Have a look at the Specimen Float rod by JW Youngs - I've several of the rods, and it's very difficult to fault them, particularly as they can generally be found for less than £60 including shipping and a very nive hard rod tube.

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/rods.htm

The Trotter is a nice enough rod, but too light for what you want, and although the Stepped Up Specimen Float is a great rod to use and will handle even large tench (and carp of a similar size) easily with the appropriate line, it's massively overgunned for the small stuff, and does not cast a float easily with a loading less than maybe 4g, whereas the standard Specimen Float has enough backbone for the lumpier fish, yet it's doesn't take too much fun away from catching the smaller stuff too - and it will happily chuck a light 2.5g waggler maybe 30 yards or so without fuss.

Edited by philocalist